Computer doesn't boot up to BIOS after power interruption.

Status
Not open for further replies.

piggysmile

In Runtime
Computer powers up but doesn't boot up to BIOS after a short power interruption. Nothing beeps, appears on the screen or whatsoever, although the LED lights flash. I changed to the on-board video adapter from the agp one and I even cleared CMOS but all I did didn't work. What makes me even wonder is that sometimes the computer will just magically boot everything fine after turning it on/off after several minutes or pushing the restart button several times.

Which between the mobo or the psu has the problem?

General Help post to follow.

List All components. (Specifics on Power supply Needed)
List the cooling setup and heatsink.
When did this problem start?
Did you add any new software or hardware as of Late?

Dissconnect all components except CPU, Video card and One Stick of RAM. Clear the CMOS by removing the small coin like battery for Two Minutes. Remove the motherboard from the case and place it on a hard non-conductive surface.

Turn it on and if it POSTs, Shut down, put it back in the case, add one component and repeat the process until it no longer boots. The Component that was added last most likely caused the Non-POST and should be RMAed and or Replaced.

End General Reply.

Its probably your motherboard.

Thanks for replying guys. Ste, are the following what you're looking for? I hope that these info would help.

Specs:

230V PSU
Via P4M266A Chipset
Pentium 4 478-pin
512 MB DDR SDRAM
PCTel HSP56 PCI Modem
Geforce 2 MX400
Primary Master:Seagate ST340015A 40 GB HD
Secondary Master: Aopen CD-RW CRW4850
Secondary Slave:ATAPI CD-ROM 52 Max
1.44 Floppy disk drive

I recently changed to a 19" LCD monitor but the problem just started right after the power interruption. My sister was also playing Sims 2 that time when the power went off and the our lowly computer was using much of its resources.

Test:
When I say "ok" I mean that the computer was able to boot up to BIOS using the hardware. I did two attempts with each set of hardware. I cleared the CMOS again and powered off the computer for 15 minutes before doing this. The following are the results.

1. Memory stick, CPU, on-board video adapter-1st attempt ok-2nd attempt ok
2. PCI modem-ok-ok
3. AGP video card-ok-ok
4. Floppy drive-ok-ok
5. Primary master hard drive-ok-ok
6. Secondary master cdrom-ok-ok
7. Secondary slave cdrom-ok-ok

I did a 15 minute cooldown again after the test and the computer still booted ok after that.

Unfortunately, after closing the computer case, moving it to the computer table and plugging all external hardware the computer didn't boot to BIOS again so I tried loosening the monitor cable's attachment to the video card then it worked ok. Then, I played Warcraft 3 for an hour and tried to switch off and then back on the computer and the problem occured again. I tried replugging the monitor cable and now I'm typing this on the problematic computer.

Sorry, I really can't draw a conclusion for this. The problem is driving me crazy.

you could try changing out the powersupply, that could be the issue. but I kinda doubt it.

sorry to say this , but it is sounding like it could be a motherboard issue. if you use the computer with just the cpu, video card , memory and one hdd in it, does it still exhibit the same problems?

The same problem happens even when only the cpu, memory stick, and video card are plugged. I think that I need to save for a new mobo now.

The same problem happens even when only the cpu, memory stick, and video card are plugged. I think that I need to save for a new mobo now.

if it wont beep at all that usually does point to motherboard. that is the route I would go.

I've just replaced the psu and the problem still occurs. Think this is enough reason to buy a new mobo. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom