Computer Crashing while gaming. I think my GPU may be fried. I need help :( - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 05:29 PM   #21 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Re: Computer Crashing while gaming. I think my GPU may be fried. I need help :(

Took some screenshots of HW Monitor and Everest Ultimate. The Everest screen shot shows my GPU at 160 degrees F, and GPU VRM at 235 degrees F. Both programs showed the CPU Core Voltage fluctuating from 1.13V to 1.27V. Thanks for your help guys.

HW Monitor with computer in idle:
http://i55.tinypic.com/25rgqcz.jpg

HW Monitor with WoW playing in windowed mode:
http://i52.tinypic.com/of0o5h.jpg

HW Monitor while running Furmark stability test:
http://i54.tinypic.com/1zv4q6t.jpg

Everest Ultimate while running Furmark stability test:
http://i52.tinypic.com/n4f3w0.jpg

Old 09-03-2010, 07:10 PM   #22 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Computer Crashing while gaming. I think my GPU may be fried. I need help :(

We can see the max temps on HWMonitor. No need to do it before and after.

Anyhow, that temp looks OK. I'm not sure of the voltages, though.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:31 PM   #23 (permalink)
Lord Techie

All temps/voltages appear to be fine to me honestly.

Report back with the memtest results soon...
Old 09-03-2010, 07:33 PM   #24 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Ok, sorry about that. My PSU is a Rocketfish 500W. There was a list of PSU's to avoid on here somewhere, and my PSU was there lol. That may be it.

**Edit: just saw c0rr0sive's post. That is good to hear, man. I'm running the tests as we speak.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:42 PM   #25 (permalink)
Lord Techie

There is still the STRONG possibility your PSU is dropping in/out at times, it may be best to replace that, it could be the reason memtest kept being restarted, it's really rare for memtest to end up in that position.

The voltages appeared fine, but that's monitoring it via software....

Can you tell us the amperage rating for all the rails, as when I research them I don't find much of anything.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:38 AM   #26 (permalink)
Junior Techie

The table on my PSU says
Maximum (A) | 18A | 18A | 18A | 18A | 0.3A | 2.5A |

The other rows of the table say nothing about amps, only watts. It also has a big sticker with 80 PLUS on it. I'm running memtest on the 3rd RAM stick now. One more to go. The computer has reset a couple times already.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:44 AM   #27 (permalink)
Lord Techie

If it's resetting, then stop memtest, your PSU is most likely failing, are you able to get another PSU to test with?

There could be other smaller things causing it to reset, but, if it has reset with different sticks in, then its most likely a bad PSU...

You reminded me why I kinda quit working on computers......

Read this about your power supply, you might find it interesting...
http://www.overclock.net/power-suppl...ocketfish.html
Old 09-04-2010, 12:47 PM   #28 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Guess I got screwed then lol. The PSU came with the computer, I just assumed it wouldn't be bad. ****. Memtest just finished on the 4th and final RAM stick. No errors on either of them.

Time to head to microcenter, then. Hopefully I don't end up buying a pos psu again.

I did some research on the issue I'm having, and it is a well-known problem with the 1950x PRO.
People say that the when the GPU VRM get ~115degrees C, they get a black screen. Several of the people having this issue attached heat sink to the VRM. They said it dropped temperatures ~10 degrees C, and the black screen didn't recur. Maybe I should try that first? Only problem is that I have never installed a heat sink before, and I don't know exactly where the VRM is on my GPU (I researched it to no avail).
Old 09-04-2010, 01:19 PM   #29 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Can you tell us which x1950 GPU it is specifically, mostly, which manufacture?
Old 09-04-2010, 02:02 PM   #30 (permalink)
Junior Techie

There is no manufacturer identified on the card. It just looks like http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...w=1280&bih=831

There is one by Power Color (?) that looks exactly the same, just has a name on it Google Image Result for http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/6580/x1950provt2.jpg

**Edit: Is there any possibility that this is a driver issue? I did install new drivers since the old owner sold me the computer. Could part of the old driver be left behind and is causing some sort of driver mixup? I have Catalyst Control Center, RivaTuner, and ATI Tool (I uninstalled it, but when I search "ati" in the start menu, I get some results relating to ATI Tool.

lol I am just trying to single out every possibility. I really don't have the money to buy something new. Looks like I'm gonna have too, though.

Closed Thread