Computer Crashing - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 12:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Computer Crashing

I'm sorry if this thread is on the wrong forum, but i'm new and couldn't find another place where this might be suitable.

My computer has recently started to crash at random times when playing my online game WoW. A while back I upgraded my computer especialy for playing WoW, which worked perfectly. But now it's suddenly been acting up

I've tried the usual thing's, virus and spyware checks, defragmenting, clean-up's, smitrem, deleting old programs and checking the cabling in the unit.

Any suggestions? This only happen's when I play on WoW. Everything else is fine.

The only thing I can possibly thing of is that dust has clogged up the CPU fan(From what I can see it's spinning fine and all that) but what's the best way to clear the cpu fan from any dust. Same goes for the motherboard.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired.

Send a message via AIM to peterhuang913
Default Re: Computer Crashing

You have to make sure the computer is dust-free or else it'll overheat. You can use a can of compressed air to blow out the dust.

My computer uses 1.5A-load, .8A-idle, .65A-standby, .05A-turned off on 125V.
"The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them in."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcent View Post
I need to stop using the internet.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/

Define "crashing". Are you talking a BSOD (blue screen), CTD (crash to desktop), the game minimizing, the game locking up, what?

If you are running a graphics card, it can become clogged with dust as well. You should also try updating the drivers for your graphics, as well as checking for any patches for WoW itself.

*EDIT* Unless you really don't want any help, I would advise you to discontinue posting the same thread multiple times. /*EDIT*

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 03-31-2008, 03:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

When my game crashes, no blue screen, first my game freezes, then the game gets closed(Without me touching anything) then the computer shuts itself down(With the whole "Logging Out" bit).

All my patches are fine and i've recently upgraded my graphics card.

And where might a find a can of compressed air?

p.s I didn't mean to post multiple threads, my mobile broadband is terrible, my apologies.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired.

Send a message via AIM to peterhuang913

You can get a can of compressed air at your local tech store. Staples, Office Depot, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.

My computer uses 1.5A-load, .8A-idle, .65A-standby, .05A-turned off on 125V.
"The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them in."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcent View Post
I need to stop using the internet.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Excilent. Thank you very much. I'll try. Will let you know how I get on tomorrow. Thanks again

Closed Thread