Computer crashing - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 06-02-2007, 03:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Computer crashing

Formatted my computer and re-installed winxp. Latest win updates including service pack two. Computer just freezes every once in a while. Half the time when it freezes a loud high pitched noise will ring from the speakers. Doubt its over-heating, never had that problem before, and like i said, have just reformatted so cannot imagine what could be causing the crashes. It happened a bit before the format but not so frequently.

Often they occur when the computer is being worked hard - burning a dvd, playing a game. Others its completely random - browsing a web page.

Athlon xp2700, 1gig ram.

Old 06-03-2007, 05:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Re: Computer crashing

Northbridge/ southbridge maybe is getting too hot while the cpu is still at a normal operating temp. I had a compaq that did the same thing as you described. I could encode 4 hour wav file to mp3 when my room was 85degrees no problem at all. Even thought the cpu would get very hot and the fan would kick in to a higher rpm. But lets say I am copying allot of files from C: to F: and I then opened up media player. Cpu usage not very high. BAM machine totally reboots itself.
I could come up with no other reason but to blame my northbride/ southbridge.

I'm sure what the right way to resolve this problem would be. I believe one of these already has a heatsink on the chip itself. Maybe install a case fan in the front to getting a better airflow.

Old 06-03-2007, 05:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Default Re: Computer crashing

Try providing more detail about your system especially the power supply unit, you have to test it with a meter to know if truly it is causing the problem with lack of power.

Closed Thread