Computer Crashes When Noise Starts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael31191

Solid State Member
I'm not even sure what makes the noise, if its the fans working harder or of its some drive spinning or what, but whenever my computer starts making a louder noise like its about to take off (and it used to do it all the time without a problem), it crashes. It does it about 80% of the time, and usually once it crashes, it takes forever to start up again because it has to do whatever causes the crash every time it starts up. Sometimes when I click on My Computer and start going through my hard drive it starts making the noise, stuttering, and then crashing. I can open games that are on my hard drive however, usually without a problem. Can someone tell me what I need to do to fix... whatever is making that noise that is having problems.

are u getting any "serious error" messages on restart? or disk check offers? assume u are using xp? sounds of overworked fans/failing hard drives are very different...have u had the hood up to listen? does the noise occur when idling at desktop? if not, what are u doing when it starts?
any other fans apart from cpu h/s fan? is your hdrive old? have you renewed heatsink compound? too many possibilities...defrag hd maybe; do a diskcheck...overheating of cpu will cause fan to race and shutdown system

Almost sounds lik eyou have a hard drive going out. Your main drive wouldnt happen to be a maxtor would it?

I'm positive its the sound of the hard drive struggling. I guess I'm just going to have to replace it if the defrag doesn't fix it. Thanks guys.

A defrag will defiantly not fix a failing HDD. Backup all your data before drive totally fails replace HDD and reload windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom