Computer crashes during gaming

Jorre

Beta member
Whenever I try to play a game it crashes after 10-20 minutes to a sound loop with the screen receiving no signal, forcing me to do a hard reset. My videocard is a Radeon HD7970. My system worked just fine for a year and a half but started to crash every single time since two days ago. I have monitored the temperature of my GPU during the latest crash (running farcry 4) and at 87 degrees celsius it crashes. Other games like Evolve make it crash too. What should I do?

Have you cleaned out your card's fans of dust and such? Has it always been that hot? Have you tried increasing the fan speed of the card?

Updated GPU drivers as well as Catalyst Control Center? I'm guessing it's crashing due to heat, and/or heat & driver issues.

Thanks for the reply. I have done a clean reinstall of the latest drivers and checked the fans. There was a little bit of dust on them but nothing to the extent that causes overheating, I'd think. I blew some of the dust off with just my breath since I don't have canned air. I have not tried increasing the fan speed of the card, I don't know how to do that actually. For what it's worth, they were going at 87% of the max speed when it crashed or something like that.

Thanks for the reply. I have done a clean reinstall of the latest drivers and checked the fans. There was a little bit of dust on them but nothing to the extent that causes overheating, I'd think. I blew some of the dust off with just my breath since I don't have canned air. I have not tried increasing the fan speed of the card, I don't know how to do that actually. For what it's worth, they were going at 87% of the max speed when it crashed or something like that.

You can increase the fan speed through Catalyst Control Center by enabling manual fan control under the AMD OverDrive section, I believe.

Back
Top Bottom