Computer Crashes during games, not over heating - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 07:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Computer Crashes during games, not over heating

So I have a very odd problem. When i play games like skyrim it will crash. Sometimes I can play it for hours and nothing will happen but like now it will only play for about 1-2 minutes before crashing. The temps of CPU and video card are not going over 60~ degrees. I ran a reliability test and Video Hardware error. However the drivers are all up to date. I did just get this card from a friend (ATI 6970) but like I said the drivers are all up to date.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: Computer Crashes during games, not over heating

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhise View Post
So I have a very odd problem. When i play games like skyrim it will crash. Sometimes I can play it for hours and nothing will happen but like now it will only play for about 1-2 minutes before crashing. The temps of CPU and video card are not going over 60~ degrees. I ran a reliability test and Video Hardware error. However the drivers are all up to date. I did just get this card from a friend (ATI 6970) but like I said the drivers are all up to date.
I'm sure its not much of a big issue, but when you game for a couple hours and leave and do it again the next day...

The cache from the game's internet maybe abit clogged up and having your system slowly breakdown.

Start off with downloading ccleaner and defraggler, clean up your computer and let it do a normal defrag when your not on your computer.

It may help to disable any active antivirus as some of them will get in the way, while scanning in the background on gamermode or letting you know if it spotted joker stealing the batmobile. -j/k-

If its none of those that I mention and it becomes to frequent we may check your settings to see if something is bugging out by chance.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I have just recently completely reformatted windows. A completely fresh install with the newest driver for my video card and only skyrim downloaded the game and it crashed in about a minute.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lord of Bacon

I was having a similar problem with Skyrim.
Turned out my GPU overclock was a little too aggressive, even though other games didn't crash with it.

Fixed it by lowering my GPU overclock and lowering the display settings in-game a tad.

i5 3570k | 8GB G.Skill 1600MHz | R9 290 | SeaSonic 750X
Old 04-19-2012, 10:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

When it crashes (if you can see your graphics card with case off) you may be able to see fault LEDS which may give you an indication of what is causing it. There is usually a number beside the led light which you can look and it will give you the fault details. E.g temp or underpowered
Old 04-20-2012, 01:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

My thoughts are mayby a faulty graphics driver. My graphics driver has crashed on me a few times on my ATI RADEON video card, thus causing the computer to blue screen on me and restart.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

funny, im having problems with my ati radeon graphics card at the moment. Similar problem. Have worked out its not the graphics card, drivers..it was origionally getting bsod stateing it was the driver but from removing the driver reinstalling then eventually restoring whole computer it wasn't the driver. I am leaning towards the powersupply but have stopped mucking around with it becasue it is still under warrenty. Better off just calling Mr. Dell and getting them to fix it...

Closed Thread