Computer Crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew S

Solid State Member
A few minutes after I boot up my computer it freezes. The screen remains the same but I am unable to do anything except shut the power off. I thought it was a software problem so I formatted the hard drive. I still had the same problem. I took my computer to a computer technician and had it looked over. I was told that there was no problem and it had worked fine for them. I took it home and I froze just the same as before. Later I found out that it depends on where my computer is plugged in (directly into a wall outlet or through and extension cord, and or a surge protector). If it is directly into a wall I usually don't have the problem. I am guessing that I have a power supply problem. I wonder if it is not supplying enough power to the computer anymore or something like that. Anyone's help would be greatly appreciated.

List all Components.
List all running processes.
What anti virus and Anti spyware programs are you running?
Have you added any new software or hardware latly?
Download everest or speedfan and list the tempartures and voltage readings it gives?

Go through this Spyware Guide.
http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?threadid=119852

Any additional information about what you use the computer for, things youve changed or added would be most helpful.

Ste said:
List all Components.
List all running processes.
What anti virus and Anti spyware programs are you running?
Have you added any new software or hardware latly?
Download everest or speedfan and list the tempartures and voltage readings it gives?

Go through this Spyware Guide.
http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?threadid=119852

Any additional information about what you use the computer for, things youve changed or added would be most helpful.

he said that he reformatted, so I doubt the problem is with malware. Go out and buy a new power strip. It sounds to me like the one you have been using is fried somehow. See if that helps. Also, make sure that you are using the correct voltage on your powersupply. It should be set to 115V
back.jpg

Its the red one.

Thats what everything thinks. But guess what that Guide is not just for malware its for trojans and viruses as well. So many times people get Virus and trojans on a new PC because they forget to update windows and their programs. Ive seen countless occasions were trojans are caught as soon as a new PC is connected to the internet.

Point being that if on a new format he/she doesn't update windows and all programs ASAP than it won't matter.

(Also my post is a "Canned" speech, its just general questions that don't ALWAYS pretain to a specific problem"

The file is my specs. Before I formatted my hardrive I was running Windows XP Home Edition and I am now running Windows XP Professional x64 Edition

Processor:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3700+, ~2.2GHz
Memory:
2048MB RAM
Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX
Motherboad:
Asus A8N-SLI Scoket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD
Power Supply:
ThermaltakeSilent Purepower W0019 ATX 480W

so your sure that the red switch is in the correct place? also, go to another room that is on a different circut(in your breaker box) and see if that helps, you might just be having a problem with that one line.

I don't have a red switch on the back. My power supply is supposed to be self adjusting. I have this problem nearly anywhere, and it usually happens when I am plugged into any extension cord or surge protector. If I am plugged dirctley into a wall I don't have a problem, but when I go to a LAN Party I don't have that option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom