Computer Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramachandrin

Beta member
While the system was running normally, the computer shut off suddenly and completely. When I tried to turn it on again, nothing happened. The green light was still illuminated on the motherboard and was lit every time the computer was plugged in. After changing power supplies, I booted the computer, it started up, hung for approximately 15 seconds, then crashed. It did the same thing when all of the components were detached from the motherboard except the processor and the RAM. I think something happened that caused a simultaneous power supply and motherboard faliure but im not to sure. The only thing I had done to my computer recently was put in a new bios chip, and the computer was working with the new chip for about four days. What could have happened? I really hope my processor isint fried too.

Here are the specs:
ASUS P5GDC Deluxe Motherboard
1 GB DDR 400
P4 LGA775 3.40Ghz
Nvidia 6800GT
Audigy 2ZS
400 watt Case Power Supply (Now Dead)

All this hardware was never overclocked
If anyone could help I would really appreciate it
Thanks

A new BIOS chip. I' LL admit I am not up on the new mainboards like I should, so could you go into more detail about the bios chip?

and

did you try putting the old bios chip back in

and

why did you feel you needed to replace the old one

and

can't your bios be flashed ?

Sounds to me like a heat issue which may be permenant now.

I've had this happen before with a Duron 1200. Would run perfectly for about 10 minutes, then only for about 5, then less and less until the power supply died. Replacing the power supply and the same thing occured, but only faster.

After examing the processor it actually left burn marks on the heatsink and melted some of the plastic on the socket connector on the motherboard.

After replacing the motherboard, processor, heatsink and fan, everything was fine.

Have fun with the RMA or shopping for new stuff ;)

I had a friend that fried his vid card.. It had no thermal monitering what so ever Geforce 4 TI The heatsink actually melted onto the GPU and was impossible to remove. Tried to remove it with alcohol, nail polish remover(very very carefully)
And i finally gave up and tired to pry it off.. The chip actually came off with the proc and annd the threads too.. was rather amusing.

I had to get a new BIOS cause my computer fizzled during the flashing process. (Don't Ask) Im pretty sure this had nothing to do with the new bios chip though, since the computer without the bios did not boot at all.

The new PLCC Bios chips come in a socket were you can just pop them out.

There was no observable damage to the processor when I took it out, though I Probably going to take it to a computer place to see if its still good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom