computer build help

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrandomhero

Solid State Member
so my problem is, im building a computer and ive gotten everything but the case. thats coming on monday, so i installed my cpu, applied arctic silver, aftermarket cpu cooler, i installed my ram and my video card. i decided while i wait for my case, i might as well test it so far to see if it works, so i hooked up all the appropriate power supply cables, cpu fan and such, mouse and keyboard and monitor and plugged in the power cable, switched on my psu, pressed the handy power button my motherboard has integrated into it and it turned on for about a half second then off again, it does this every time i try it. anything that could cause this problem? anything i can do to troubleshoot it?

could it be because i didnt put enough arctic silver? or the psu or the ram? anything?

im using an amd phenom II 940 processor with a biostar TA790GX 128M motherboard g.skill ram, evga gts 250 video card and a rosewill psu, and yes i took anti static precautions, wristband, touching an old computer that i have on unpainted metal before touching anything on the motherboard

Make sure the board is not somehow grounded on something were you have placed it?

make sure you have the additional 4pin 12v connector into the motherboard?

If you have a motherboard speaker connected or there is one onboard, pull the ram and see if you get post beeps.

try with just one stick of ram. try the ram in different slots.

make sure you have the pci-e 6pin power plug into the gpu.

What is the motherboard on top of? Hopefully nothing that conducts electricity/static.
cardboard box it came with

Make sure the board is not somehow grounded on something were you have placed it?

If you have a motherboard speaker connected or there is one onboard, pull the ram and see if you get post beeps.

its on top of a cardboard box

it only has 1 4 pin connector

ill try the second one

ill try that too

i had the pci-e plug in my gpu

anything else i can do? thanks.

i tried both things with the ram and it didnt change anything, still turning on for about a half second, then off, the cpu fan doesnt even turn on

leaning towards bad psu.
Have another to try?
can you upload a pic of the setup to see if I can notice anything obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom