Computer bug when plugging in household fan

DoubleJ

Beta member
Hi,

I have a PC that is plugged into a 4 plug adapter. When I plug my fan (justr a normal fan to keep you cool in summer) into the same adapter it causes the sound on my computer to change on my settings to really low and my keyboard disconnects for a second then comes back on. I tried this a few times and it did the same thing each time.

Does anyone have any clue why it is doing this?

Thanks

Last edited:
That sounds like a very specifically odd problem. I think your answer is going to require very in-depth knowledge of the mobo architecture on your machine.

My answer: You usb devices aren't getting powered because your machine isn't getting enough power when the fan is plugged in. The outlet is dealing with a lot of resistance in the circuit.

Does anyone have any clue why it is doing this?
Like you said, it obviously some sort of power instability issue, most likely a lack of power to some component. Why it happens, who knows...

I'd say get a better power strip/surge protector for your electronics (at one for your computer), one with a higher joule rating.

When I plug my fan (justr a normal fan to keep you cool in summer) into the same adapter it causes the sound on my computer to change on my settings to really low and my keyboard disconnects for a second then comes back on.
Making electrical anomalies irrelevant to all electronics is the job of its power supply. But due to so many computer assemblers without electrical knowledge, then some power supplies are dumped into the market missing these essential functions.

Why is what is only noise getting into your computer? Noise (probably single digit volts) must not interfere with any properly designed electronics.

Meanwhile a 120 volt protector ignores any anomaly that is less than 330 volts. How does a 330 volt protector 'clean' single digit volt noise? It doesn't. Many make recommendations by ignoring numbers. Useful answers must also provide those numbers.

The OP is from the U.K. and is probably on 220/230 volts supply. I do agree that the power supply should be filtering out some variances in the voltages but more likely a problem from the power provided at the receptacle. Getting a back up battery should solve this issue. A back up battery should provide proper and clean voltages for your pc
I know your in the U.K. and Newegg is not there but you can use this as a reference as to what you'll need
APC Back-UPS ES BE350G UPS - Newegg.com

I'm not that familiar to recommend any places in the U.K. to get a back up power supply

Edited for typo's

Last edited:
The OP is from the U.K. and is probably on 220/230 volts supply. I do agree that the power supply should be filtering out some variances in the voltages but more likely a problem from the power provided at the recepticle. getting a back up battery should solve this issue. A back up batter should provide proper and clean voltages for your pc
I know your in the U.K. and Newegg is not there but you can use this as a reference as to what you'll need

I'm not that familiar to recommend any places in the U.K. to get a back up power supply

I would recommend this as well. Backup battery power supplies not only usually filter out noise before it gets to the computer's PSU, but it also gives a reliable source of electricity in case the power goes out in your area or has abnormal spikes/dips.

Here you are:
Back-UPS - Product Information
Visit this site double and see if you can grab one.
Also do what nukem says, I have a feeling it has more of a issue with home eletrical wiring.
If all sockets do that in the home assume it maybe a psu issue and look into rma support or get a better one. :)

Backup battery power supplies not only usually filter out noise before it gets to the computer's PSU,
Yes, it does filter. And then view manufacturer's spec numbers. That filter is near zero. Just enough above zero so that the many who recommend it subjectively can claim 100% filtering. Little difference between a subjective claim and a bogus one.

How well a UPS filters is further made irrelevant by other factors. A 230 volt power supply converts 'cleanest' or 'dirtiest' power into well over 300 volt radio frequency spikes. Far dirtier than anything found on the mains. Then superior filtering inside a supply convert that much dirtier power into rock solid, low voltage DC.

Anything done by a UPS is first undone. And then done better inside each electronic power supply.

View specifications for a cited: APC Back-UPS ES BE350G UPS - Newegg.com UPS. How much filtering does it do? Manufacturer specifications say virtually none. When not in battery backup mode, it connects a computer directly to AC mains - and to noise from that fan.

A UPS is expensive. So it must do cleaning. Hearsay says so. Even the manufacturer does not make that claim.

Where is noise best solved? At its source. A most effective and the least expensive solution.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom