Computer boots up, but nothing afterwards. - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 09-11-2007, 06:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Re: Computer boots up, but nothing afterwards.

I have the same problem, not meaning to steal the thread in any means, being that we have the same problem.

I recently purchased peices for the computer, and had it built.. build as follows:

Q6600 G0 stepping
8800 gts 320mb card
2 gig crucial ram
antec 900 case
500w xclio power supply
p35 ds3r

well, my first week went great, I was shutting down the computer every night, it booted right back up every morning. About a week ago, I went to go turn on the computer one morning, and it didn't turn on. I unplugged the power supply cord, plugged it back in, and it booted fine.

The next day, trying to turn it on.. it didn't boot up again, I unplugged the PSU cord again, but that didn't help.. Now, when I go to turn it on, it just shuts on and off every 3 seconds rougly untill I turn off the PSU, everything is plugged in properly. I removed everything, plugged it back in, nothing helped.

One thing I noticed though, was on the mobo, next to the HSF, there is a 4 pin connector. When I unplug that. I can turn on the computer, and it won't continuaslly shut off, everything runs fine, including all the fans.. but still nothing comes up on the monitor, so I assume that 4 pin connector is needed to be plugged in.

My friend who built it for me, put everything on outside of the case, and I learned later that what he did was risky, he could have bent the prongs on the bottom of my motherboard, I haven't checked that yet. Could that be the problem, or could it be something else?

I just don't understand what the problem could be, although I'm not very experienced with this, so anything helps. Please identify my problem.. Thankyou all in advance.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via AIM to mgcook

try booting it with the motherboard out of the case. you might have a wire shorting out somewhere. i had a molex connector shorting out on my case causing mine not to boot.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I have the same problem ...changed out the mobo and cpu ..sadly still have the same problem

Closed Thread