Computer becomes unstable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

spigen

In Runtime
Well it was my first computer build, so I had no idea what to expect. Finally after a couple hours of building and wire management I turned it on. Bios booted up, installed windows vista 32 bit.

Every time I tried to install something, unrar something, etc... the computer would just lock up. I looked under event viewer and it had a bunch of errors like eventhttp and wmi.

So I decided to format the drive, and re install windows, this time with 1 stick of 2gb in and I installed vista 64 bit. The computer ran perfect from that point on, downloaded stuff, extracted, installed games, and I played games for a couple hours last night. Then I turned the computer off and this morning I tried to see what happens when I stick the other dram stick in.

Computer boots bios fine, but vista just freaks out, sometime freezes while loading, sometimes half way through loading, or sometimes it let me get on, and I had time to right about the first sentence of this.

So I took the stick back out and the computer runs fine. But I bought a 4 gb set for a reason, whats the problem here?

Set up:
q9550
asus rampage extreme
ocz reaper pc3-12800 2x2gb
visiontek 4870x2
ultra x3 1000watt

Everything has the newest drivers and everything is at stock settings. Thanks for the help.

Wrong memory for the system, bad memory module, there are about 20 different scenario's here.

The solution is replace the RAM chip with an idential piece that is working. Just purchase new ran (return the one stick that doesn't work).

Problem solved.

Are you trying to run them in dual channel? Can you run them in dual channel? What slots on the mobo are you placing them in? Do you have SP1 installed?

Are you trying to run them in dual channel? Can you run them in dual channel? What slots on the mobo are you placing them in? Do you have SP1 installed?

My motherboard comes with four ddr3 dimm sockets (a1 and a2) (b1 and b2)
- I had them in channel A. (DIMM_A1 and DIMM_A2)

I've been trying to run them whatever the motherboards bios are stock set up to do. I'm not really sure if I'm running them as dual channel or not whatever the board is set up to do stock.

And yes I have Vista Ultimate 64 bit sp1 installed.

Check your voltages and all that on the RAM. They cold be setup wrong for your system which is what is causing the instability.

Check your voltages and all that on the RAM. They cold be setup wrong for your system which is what is causing the instability.

Well what should the ram be set up to? voltage, timings, etc... because right know they are just set on auto in the bios.

well I installed the other stick and went into my timings and entered in the stock timings and volts, etc... from ocz website.

1600mhz
7-7-7-24
1.9v

It seems to be running stable. we'll see if it continues, I loaded up cpu-z and it says I'm running my memory in single channel.
my FSB:DRAM is 1:2 and DRAM freq is at 800mhz

hmmm....it looks like it also jumped my processor clock speed up to

3 ghz
core voltage is 1.28
multipler is 7.5
bus speed is 400
rated fsb is 1600

is all this ok? anything I should do differntly. thanks for the input.

Looks good. If your running your RAM and CPU in linked mode they will both rise and fall together. If you're still getting some stability issues try upping your vcore a little. To make sure it's fully stable you can run Prime95 and CPUStabTest simultaneously for a few hours.

Well i messed around with my bios some more. I choose the ram I have (PC3-12800) the stock timings of 7-7-7-24 at 1.9v

and it seemed to automatically bump my bus to 400, FSB to 1600
and also jumped my mulitplier on the cpu up to 8.5, overclocking my cpu to 3.4

The cores temps are between 43-47. CPU temp is 36.

why does cpuz say my memory is Single channel when it is actually dual channel? I'm I missing something is the bios. Any other bios help you can send my way? and what about this automatic overclock is it ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom