Computer Amnesia: fails to recognize its friends =(

Status
Not open for further replies.

frOthBy

Beta member
Hola. I searched around and didn't see the problem solved in other threads, though I doubt it'd be a "for dummies" answer anyway ^_^

My computer is a laptop, old Toshiba that continues to work, and my mouse is here: Welcome to www.A4Tech.com and has been around for about the same amount of time without any problems really. It even works on other computers. In the last few days it has just been recently turning off after a couple of minutes and doesn't come back on. Restarts have proven successful until now and my computer doesn't seem to recognize other mouses that do work on another computer. The problem is most likely something to the effect of Kentucky Fried USB ports, but everything does seem to work when my computer just starts up. Thus I can't say it's dead, but all 3 ports don't seem to recognize either of the 2 mice, and if recognized could just go off at anytime on any day.

What could the problem be? If it's driver problems....I don't know where they are, what they do, or how to modify them @(>_<)@

I think this: Welcome to www.A4Tech.com is the one I'd have to install, but I do believe the old driver is still installed somewhere. See the previous mini-paragraph for details on my knowledge of drivers though (tried to find it but the closest thing I have to a mouse program is some Alps thing that seems unrelated).

Does anyone know what the problem might be? Any help is appreciated :happy:

Drivers don't usually just stop working at random. USB devices generally do not need drivers to work. Drivers just give them more options or make them work more effectively. But, you should be able to plug pretty much any USB device into any computer and it should work, especially mice.

Have you tried any other USB devices (flash drive, keyboard, camera, etc)? Have you tried a USB to PS/2 adapter on your mouse?

EDIT: Welcome to the forums by the way. :)

Um, I have a wireless card plugged in that's working if that might count. No other USB things besides mice though. Ear phones perhaps? (they work ^_^)

Thanks =)

Edit: Tried downloading a new driver, so now my touchpad lost its ability to scroll. Seems like everything's going downhill @(T_T)@

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom