Computer acting erratically. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 11-26-2006, 10:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Computer acting erratically.

Ok, so I have two computers in my room. One an athlon 64 3000+ and an oldskool '95 box that has a 200mhz pentium (that hasnt worked for a few years, ive been too lazy to try and fix it).

Well, today I decide to be unlazy and try and try and fix the old 95 (keep in mind that at this point, the athlon works perfectly). The 95 is missing a power cable so I borrow the athlon's cable. I find that windows 95 stalls at startup for some reason... I figure that either its a corrupted os or bad harddrive. At this point, I know all I need is just the os cd, and decide to do that some other time. I plug the athllon back in and... the monitor isnt working... I then restart it and this time the monitor works... but the keyboard is dead... restart again.. no monitor.. restart again, and it says sumin to the extent that it wuz not properly shutdown previously (I shut it down.. but just with multiple users on.. i think that is wut may have caused it) so I select to startup with default settings or something like that. Anywho... it stalls at this point.. and does nothing...

So far... Im just thinking possibly dying mobo... but i dont understand how that could of happened from what I did...

any advice on what I should do?

Also.. if it comes to be just something witht he os or hdd... I dont want to format it, I would rather buy a new hdd and try and recover files from the old one... but what would I need to do this? and.. is it possible?

holy shnitzel this turned into a long post *shrug*

Old 11-27-2006, 03:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

odd problem just removing the power cable should not have caused your pc to act any differently...unless you forgot to unplug your pc?

Old 11-27-2006, 07:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

I have no clue what was happening...really quite odd... but i guess its working now..

no more lockups at startup.. lol..
Closed Thread