Compaq quick restore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuckyGoldstein

Beta member
Hello everyone, I am currently in the procces of getting a new computer and I am selling my old one to a friends wife. I had to order the Compaq quick restore cd's about 2 years ago when my computer was screwed up. My question is, will re-running the quick restore cd's completely remove all of my private photos, email, websites viewed, confidential work files, personal information etc. and mp3's from my hard drive? I already deleted all that I could find, but feel that they may still be accesable by someone who knows more about computers than I do. Thanks, Bucky G.

P.S. Does anyone know what the best laptop computer for the money is?

You're going to want to do a format to make sure all your personal files are gone. Either load the OS from the CD, and use that to repartition, format. Or get a boot disk from www.bootdisk.com and run FDISK to do the same thing.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I ran the Compaq Quick Restore CD today, and after it was done, my computer started like it was brand new. The only programs left on it were the ones that were on it when I origanally bought and started the computer. The manual to my Quick Restore cd says that it restores my computer to its original manufacturers specifications. Does this mean that all personal files are erased from my computer? If not, what does the disk you refering to do that quick restore does not? Thanks again, Bucky G.:)

Yes, all of your personal files are erased, but the only way to ensure that no one can access any information that was on your hard drive is to destroy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom