compaq power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

marco73

Beta member
I'm trying to get a Compaq Presario 6010CA working for a
friend. The power supply is dead and I've been in contact with hp parts
and they say that the spare part is not being made anymore. (spare no.
271398-001). Whenever I ask anyone from HP they give me another
number..I've gone full circle now and no where to turn. I just need to
know what specifications I'll need when I purchase a new power supply. I
have spares here but none of them have the small two pin connector (not
sure of the name of it). So I'm giving up on HP/Compaq and going out and getting a power supply. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Small 2 pin connector :confused: ?

You mean like the fan controller connector? I dont think you actually need that as such, just use one of the PSUs you have...

i used to have a hp pentium 3 system. the psu had a 3 pin connector that went into the motherboard. i think it was for the psu fan. if you are getting a generic psu then you dont need that connector. also as you mentioned that hp is not making your part anymore then there is a chance that a generic powersupply may not fit into your compaq chassis. but that is only assuming that your system is relatively old and comes in a small chassis.

that could mean buying another chassis as well as a psu. depending on what your friend needs a pc to do, he/she could just buy a new dell for like $300 after rebates. if its for gaming then custom build a rig.

Thanks for the response guys. The weird thing is, this is not a very old computer. It has an AMD Athlon processor. My friend said she purchased it from Radio Shack less than two years ago. I'm in a remote area with no computer parts store anywhere near me so I'm kinda nervous about ordering a new power supply. I tried the ones I have here and they all don't fit the chasis. They are all shorter in height. Sorry I don't know the correct terminology for these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom