Compaq EVO D500 Slow Processing

Vendetta1

Baseband Member
I have Compaq Evo D500 2.0 GHz, 512 RAM/ Operating system is XP (service pack 2). The problem is my PC has slow processing speed. It has no viruses no junk data. I have cleaned all the dust and also checked the jel between processor and fan, everything ok and fans are working good. At some times PC automatically works normal, but most of time it becomes slow, although it never hangs. Everything become slow, If I'm plying a video it runs slow and suddenly it runs fast. When PC is slow it also takes time in refresh. When my PC works normal it has very good speed, but it rarely works normal. What is the reason for its slow processing most of the time? Is there any solution? One more thing when it has to process slow it is slow from the start, it even refreshes slow without any other application running. :annoyed:

I have Compaq Evo D500 2.0 GHz, 512 RAM/ Operating system is XP (service pack 2). The problem is my PC has slow processing speed. It has no viruses no junk data. I have cleaned all the dust and also checked the jel between processor and fan, everything ok and fans are working good. At some times PC automatically works normal, but most of time it becomes slow, although it never hangs. Everything become slow, If I'm plying a video it runs slow and suddenly it runs fast. When PC is slow it also takes time in refresh. When my PC works normal it has very good speed, but it rarely works normal. What is the reason for its slow processing most of the time? Is there any solution? One more thing when it has to process slow it is slow from the start, it even refreshes slow without any other application running. :annoyed:

The problem may have something to do with your ram and cpu tempature.
Turn off the computer and open it, please tell me which ram model you have with serial number on the white label.

The problem may have something to do with your ram and cpu tempature.
Turn off the computer and open it, please tell me which ram model you have with serial number on the white label.

Two Rams 256 MB each:

1. Nanya NT256S64Y88AOG-75B 256MB SDR-133 MHZ-CL3 PC 133 V-333-542
2. Samsung H0143 PC 133 U-333-542 M366S33223CTO-C75

I've this PC for 5 years it was working very fine, this problem started 8 months ago. I've cleaned it, opened CPU fan cleaned its dust, reapplied jel, but all in vain. I've added first one ram one year ago.

Last edited:
Well yeah it will process slow. It is a Pentium 4! It isnt a dual core CPU or anything like that. It is a single CPU rated at, per the spec sheet of the unit, 1.7GHz.

Plus as you have said, you have had it for 5 years. Pentium 4 CPU's have not been made since 2008. So around the time you got this machine, is the last time this CPU was ever produced.

Nothing lasts forever. Just sounds like the machine has served its purpose but has had enough. The single core CPU has worked long and hard for you but cant continue to do so. Time to look into upgrading.

Well yeah it will process slow. It is a Pentium 4! It isnt a dual core CPU or anything like that. It is a single CPU rated at, per the spec sheet of the unit, 1.7GHz.

Plus as you have said, you have had it for 5 years. Pentium 4 CPU's have not been made since 2008. So around the time you got this machine, is the last time this CPU was ever produced.

Nothing lasts forever. Just sounds like the machine has served its purpose but has had enough. The single core CPU has worked long and hard for you but cant continue to do so. Time to look into upgrading.

Em dude. my friend has a 1 core 1.8 GHz cpu and he plays WoW on ultra settings except distance , shadows and sunshafts at 40-45 FPS ( he has a ****ty gt 440 geforce)

Point being? WoW is not a CPU intensive game to begin with. Next off you flat out say he has a GT440, which is a better card than I run. A GTX260.

So what your talking about has no relevance to the topic at hand. A GPU heavy game, with a good video card compared to a 2008 Pentium 4 CPU.

Yeah he will be able to run WoW. As it is an MMORPG that requires GFX and Internet. Not CPU. Considering the requirements for WoW are a Pentium D series, yeah it can run on machines that are over a decade old now. That means nothing.

In terms of flat out CPU performance, the P4 is done. A single core CPU will not do any good for anyone who wants Processing power. You can get a Dual Core cheap now and it will out perform any P4 ever made.

Since the topic at hand is Slow Processing, the fact is that the P4 has slow processing to begin with by any standard used today. Even basic laptops sold at Walmart for less than $300 have a dual core Intel or AMD CPU that will out perform the P4.

So my statement stands and is without a doubt true. The P4 in terms of CPU Processing is done for. After 5 years of constant use, it will show signs of aging and it is time to think of an upgrade. My personal P4 system lasted 6 years before the CPU gave out.

Glad yoru friend is still using an old single core CPU, but the fact is WoW is not a CPU Intensive GAME. It is a GFX intensive Game. Take out the GT440 he is running and put in something like a GeForce 6600 and see if he would still get 40-45 FPS. I bet he wont. Why? Cause that is relative to the GFX Card not the CPU.

Point being? WoW is not a CPU intensive game to begin with. Next off you flat out say he has a GT440, which is a better card than I run. A GTX260.

So what your talking about has no relevance to the topic at hand. A GPU heavy game, with a good video card compared to a 2008 Pentium 4 CPU.

Yeah he will be able to run WoW. As it is an MMORPG that requires GFX and Internet. Not CPU. Considering the requirements for WoW are a Pentium D series, yeah it can run on machines that are over a decade old now. That means nothing.

In terms of flat out CPU performance, the P4 is done. A single core CPU will not do any good for anyone who wants Processing power. You can get a Dual Core cheap now and it will out perform any P4 ever made.

Since the topic at hand is Slow Processing, the fact is that the P4 has slow processing to begin with by any standard used today. Even basic laptops sold at Walmart for less than $300 have a dual core Intel or AMD CPU that will out perform the P4.

So my statement stands and is without a doubt true. The P4 in terms of CPU Processing is done for. After 5 years of constant use, it will show signs of aging and it is time to think of an upgrade. My personal P4 system lasted 6 years before the CPU gave out.

Glad yoru friend is still using an old single core CPU, but the fact is WoW is not a CPU Intensive GAME. It is a GFX intensive Game. Take out the GT440 he is running and put in something like a GeForce 6600 and see if he would still get 40-45 FPS. I bet he wont. Why? Cause that is relative to the GFX Card not the CPU.

Why not getting a quad core at least? Its still around 400$ and from what I knows its still good

Two Rams 256 MB each:

1. Nanya NT256S64Y88AOG-75B 256MB SDR-133 MHZ-CL3 PC 133 V-333-542
2. Samsung H0143 PC 133 U-333-542 M366S33223CTO-C75

I've this PC for 5 years it was working very fine, this problem started 8 months ago. I've cleaned it, opened CPU fan cleaned its dust, reapplied jel, but all in vain. I've added first one ram one year ago.

Hmm if you change the grease 8 months ago time for some new grease and maybe a better heatsink ? ;)

Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound - Newegg.com
Mushkin Enhanced Essentials 512MB 168-Pin SDRAM PC 133 Desktop Memory Model 990703 - Newegg.com

Alright those two items you'll need, also since your running a old machine.
Like Mak recommended you may want to look into a new hardware.
Either intel LGA 1156 socket or AMD AM3 socket motherboards and cpu would do a heck of alot better than your pentium 4.

Let us know what you wanna do, if you decide to build one use this thread for help.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/read-first-hardware-stickies-index-142551/

Thanks to MMIke & KSOD for help, I also concluded that time of my CPU is over and it is depreciated thats why it works slow now. I will upgrade it.

Back
Top Bottom