Compaq Deskpro Boot Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

villageedge

Solid State Member
I am trying to install Windows XP on a Compaq Deskpro slim style desktop computer. I connected a CD-ROM drive directly to the motherboard and to the power supply of the computer because it does not have it's own CD-ROM. When I insert the XP installation CD and then power on the comp, it says it's attempting boot from CD...then press any key to boot from CD. I press a key and then the CD-ROM drive spins up really fast and a message comes up on the screen saying "setup is inspecting your computers current configuration", then the screen is black, but the monitor is on and so is the computer, but nothing else happens. Eventually the CD-ROM drive stops spinning but the computer and monitor remain on with nothing on the screen. I have tried two different CD drives but still nothing. I have gone through this process several times but nothing. The computer is a Compaq Deskpro series PD1010. The computer has an 80 GB hard drive and 256 MB RAM. In case anyone asks, yes I formatted the hard drive. What could be the problem?

did you change the boot priority to cd drive. after you press the key to boot from the cd , how long did you wait ?
the black screen is fine. you might have to wait as long as 10 minutes after you press the button.

you might also have to go into the bios and make sure the cd-rom is a bootable device.

did you change the boot priority to cd drive. after you press the key to boot from the cd , how long did you wait ?
the black screen is fine. you might have to wait as long as 10 minutes after you press the button.

you might also have to go into the bios and make sure the cd-rom is a bootable device.

The boot order shows CD-ROM as the primary boot device, the second is floppy and the third is the HD. I waited at least 10 minutes but nothing. I have installed XP on laptops before and never had this problem. Usually you just put the XP CD in the drive and start the computer and it begins the installation without problems. What should I do?

Try switching out the ram with a known good one or a different hard drive. Just a thought since it blacks out at "checking current config".

I am trying to install Windows XP on a Compaq Deskpro slim style desktop computer. I connected a CD-ROM drive directly to the motherboard and to the power supply of the computer because it does not have it's own CD-ROM. When I insert the XP installation CD and then power on the comp, it says it's attempting boot from CD...then press any key to boot from CD. I press a key and then the CD-ROM drive spins up really fast and a message comes up on the screen saying "setup is inspecting your computers current configuration", then the screen is black, but the monitor is on and so is the computer, but nothing else happens. Eventually the CD-ROM drive stops spinning but the computer and monitor remain on with nothing on the screen. I have tried two different CD drives but still nothing. I have gone through this process several times but nothing. The computer is a Compaq Deskpro series PD1010. The computer has an 80 GB hard drive and 256 MB RAM. In case anyone asks, yes I formatted the hard drive. What could be the problem?

**UPDATE**- Now the computer is doing something different. When I connect the HD as a slave in an enclosure and delete the partition, it actually goes past the "inspecting hardware config". It begins copying files to hard disk, when its done it reboots but then won't go past "press any key to boot from CD". If I press it again it just copies files all over again and then reboots and freezes at "press any key..." option. I'm at my wits end here. Is there anything in the bios I can try....maybe a setting? I tried several dif hard drives, as per a suggestion from a forum member here, including buying a used one off ebay but still having the same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom