Comp won't shut off - weird clicking sound - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 12:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to Haoming
Default Comp won't shut off - weird clicking sound

Hello,

My dad's having trouble with his computer and I guess I'm the most techy person in the family - I have no clue what the problem is though. Maybe a virus or a hardware problem? When he tries to scan with AVG free, the program shuts down. Yet, the comp. is quite old - about 4 years, so it could be something malfunctioning due to age.

Basically, the computer can turn on fine, everything runs smoothly like normal. But, when he tries to turn it off, the monitor will shut down (with the screen going black, which is normal) but the comp. will not shut down. Instead, the comp will make a clicking sound from the speakers. When I unplugged the speakers, the sound stopped and the computer shut off fine yet I do not think it's a problem with the speaker. I think it may be virus related instead because AVG free still gets killed when we try to scan the computer.

The computer's an Emachine running on XP home.

Thanks very much!

Old 07-27-2007, 12:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Default Re: Comp won't shut off - weird clicking sound

Try running a mcaffe scan and see if it picks up any viruses.

A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Retired.

Send a message via AIM to peterhuang913

Post a Hijackthis log

My computer uses 1.5A-load, .8A-idle, .65A-standby, .05A-turned off on 125V.
"The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them in."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcent View Post
I need to stop using the internet.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

The comp's actually having trouble starting up now. Tried to download hijackthis on it but the screen went black and the comp started making the sound again. I'll wait a bit and see if it'll start again and then post a message. I suspect maybe a video card failure would cause a screen to go black?
Old 07-27-2007, 06:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Everything to Nothing

Send a message via MSN to Nick

the HD might be dieing, backup it up now
Old 07-27-2007, 07:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Web Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickm926 View Post
the HD might be dieing, backup it up now
i dont think its an HD problem because when an HD starts to fail, its instant. gone, kapput, dead. it just sounds to me like a funky sound card, and the drivers are screwing with the operating system, though i still fail to see how having speakers plugged into an audio jack is directly linked the computer being on or not.

Web Developer Portfolio
Old 07-27-2007, 07:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Everything to Nothing

Send a message via MSN to Nick

oohh from the speakers, i didnt read that bit, i thought he meant the sound was from the pc it self
Old 07-27-2007, 12:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Sorry for the super long wait. Now, the comp will shutoff automatically after awhile and then won't turn back on until I wait for a bit. I already have the log on that comp, but am waiting to turn it on again so I can email/usb it to my other pc. I should be able to post the log once I get back home.

Thanks for bearing with me guys - I really appreciate it!
Old 07-27-2007, 03:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Make sure all the fans are running, especially the cpu and psu fans. If the machine shuts off and wont come back on, its possible that it is overheating and has to cool down before it will power back on. This could also be the cause of it not shutting down correctly. If the cpu is too hot, it could just be locking up when you try to shut down.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Meh now it's having trouble booting >_>

I unplugged the power from the back, waited a bit, and replugged it in but when I replug it in the comp automatically turns on without me pressing the on button. I should rephrase that... the comp begins running but does not actually load (can't see anything on the screen)

Until I can get it booted I have no chance at getting that Hijackthis log

Closed Thread