Comp won't recognise CD/DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoboWithAK

Beta member
I had a HDD problem a few weeks ago that caused my computer to freeze on startup. I figured out the problem, that my RAM wasn't properly seated. Once I stuck it back in, I had no problems.

Except, my computer wont recognise my DVDROM or CD-RW. With my CDRW, every time I boot up it says "New Hardware Found- Memoem;lksj0920591354", something different every time. Sometimes it says CDRW, sometimes it says a bunch of letters and numbers. It will show up in my computer under "CD Drive :)D)", but if I try to open it my computer momentarely freezes and then My Computer stops responding. My DVD-ROM seems to be noticed, but it doesn't show up in My Computer, or even work for that matter. I've tried changing drivers, reconnecting plugs, everything. I don't know why it is doing this.

No lights on either drive shine, and they don't sound or feel like they are spinning or doing anything when I insert a disc. The trays will open and close so I can put in or take out CDs, but that's about it.

Anyone know what is happening or what I can do? I figured I could just re-format my harddrive and start fresh, but alas I can't use my WinXP CD to do it because my drives dont work, and I don't know how to do it in DOS.

See if you can actually boot off of your WinXP CD. This will give you an idea if your Optical Drive is toast, or if Windows is being silly.

If you are able to boot off a CD, then it would seem that there is a Windows problem.

If you still cant boot off of a CD, then start replacing hardware. Start with the IDE cable as it is inexpensive. Then you could try swapping the drive itself.

Well, I don't understand how two drives could go bad at exactly the same time. I can't boot off WinXp disc, and I just tried switching the IDE cables. I really hope the drives didn't both get a surge or something a fry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom