Status
Not open for further replies.

XxDeceptoRxX

Solid State Member
Hi, first off here are the parts ^^

Antec Performance I P180 ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard

Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-450 ATX12V 450W Power Supply

CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model VS1GBKIT400

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ ClawHammer 2.2GHz Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3500ASBOX - Retail

Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500JS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

eVGA 256-P2-N386 Geforce 6800GS 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

Basically, one day the comp randomly shut down and wouldn't turn on again. (Yes, power cord was checked nothing lose, etc.) I RMA'd my mobo and got a new one. That wasn't it. I replaced the PSU with another 550 Antec one and found out that my SATA drive got roasted (it smelled and wasn't detected by BIOS/driver program)
Replacing the drive with a new SATA drive [with 1 IDE drive in the comp already] the computer will no longer remain on, which is my problem: -->I press the power button, fans spin for no more than one second, then it shuts off.<-- I cleared CMOS, and checked if anything was lose or broken. It appears to run continuously if no drives are connected at all [will check what monitor brings up since I didn't connect a monitor at that time] but that doesn't help. Since the PSU and mobo is new, I'd guess it's the CPU [ which doesn't have a complete layer of thermal on it, since I took it out of the old mobo and put it back in new one, thus removing some default cement on it ]. The lack of thermal is my only guess.
What I ask of you is any other suggestion of what it might be that makes my comp behave this way.
Thankssss :)

edit: changed s-word to "shut"

if i were u id put some thermal paste on before u BBQ the CPU, and also check ur RAM for any errors with windows memtest

o well I've pushed the button like 100 times now @_@ but I'll buy some tomorrow probably. And checking RAM with windows you mean using a program? The computer only stays on for 1 single second before it turns off. Or putting it in another computer. It doesn't fit in the other computer but I could try to find one where it does.

Also the part where I said it continuously runs, it's random, when I disconnected all fans it worked once, when I disconnected all drives it worked once, but now it doesn't anymore. The monitor acted like it's on standby (black screen blinkin) while it did actually continuously run.

also I checked the RAM sticks just now on a diff comp and it got to windows with it. didn't try memtest thingy since I don't think it's the RAM.

probably going to send the CPU back and if it still doesn't work i'll post again

If anyone has my problem.. I fixed mine by switching the PSU twice, once to Neo HE which didn't work due to compatability issues with ASUS A8N boards, and now with a Thermaltake 600W and I'm glad it's alive again.

Smart/Neo not good with A8N SLI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom