Comp shuts down after 20-30 mins... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 04:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Comp shuts down after 20-30 mins...

I have had this comp. for about a year now with no problems. Just today, it started turning off when I was browsing the web. I noticed a few other posts about comps shutting off at start-up, but mine does it after 20 or 30 mins. After it shuts down, I can not turn it back on by pressing the power button. I have to unplug the power supply and then plug it back in and then press the power button and it will turn on. The computer is a stock E-Machines t2240 that I use only for web browsing. Do you think I need a new PSU, or is it overheating or somehow shorting out?

Old 10-06-2005, 09:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

my aunts emacines has the same problem it was because they did not put a case fan in her computer so if you moved her comp in an enclosed space it would just shut of after 20 mins check that u have a similar model.

Old 10-06-2005, 01:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

sounds more like a virus to me. its pretty easy to write a virus that does that. done it myself. dont kick me off tech-forums cause i said that. i neva let it loose. only tried it on my machine for fun.

anyway back to ur problem, like i said it sounds like a virus to me. i once got a virus(worm) off the net that random waited a certain amount of time before it activated and gave me a message that windows was shutting down in 30sec. try running anti-virus software of some sort eg NORTAN ANTI-VIRUS 2005. though my anti-virus never picked up the virus that i got off the net.

could also be the cpu is getting to hot or some sort of hardware is causing your pc to shutdown.
NVIDIA 8800GTS 320MB
Old 10-06-2005, 01:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via AIM to PhillipBelcher Send a message via Yahoo to PhillipBelcher

i would go against the virus scheme. You can make a virus shut the pc down. However, you cannot make it so you must unplug the power cord to turn the pc back on.

Have you made upgrades to the pc? (Ram, Pci Expansions?)

Sounds like the PSU isn't pushing out enough wattage. I would check the wattage output on the PSu and maybe consider replacing.
Emachines usually uses a 230w PSU, im pretty sure.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie

I agree wiht Phil. Have you overclock the memory, cpu or video card.? I would monitor the temperature of all of those components. If they are not overheating, especially the cpu, the PSU, as Phil suggested, is high on the list. Try this...if you have a second puter or a friend who wants to help, switch out the psu and see what happens. Let us know what you find!
Old 10-06-2005, 05:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to timmer

SOUNDS LIKE HEAT! check ur temps
GeForce Fx 6600GT
Asus P5LD2
HD AUDIO
480W thermaltake
Old 10-06-2005, 06:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by RicoDirenzo
I agree wiht Phil. Have you overclock the memory, cpu or video card.? I would monitor the temperature of all of those components. If they are not overheating, especially the cpu, the PSU, as Phil suggested, is high on the list. Try this...if you have a second puter or a friend who wants to help, switch out the psu and see what happens. Let us know what you find!
its a emacines how can he o/c it?
Old 10-06-2005, 09:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to HAVOC Send a message via Yahoo to HAVOC

Yeah... I'm going to say, "It's a heat issue also."

The BIOS is probably set to auto shut down when the CPU hits a certain temp. The reason you need to unplug the power cord from the PC to restart, probably has something to do with removing the power completely from the motherboard, which always has power as long as it's plugged in. I bet that BIO's feature is reset when the MOBO loses it's charge and then is recharged. May-be???
Old 10-06-2005, 09:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Maybe theres no battery on the motherboard and the BIOS keeps its settings as long as the machine is plugged up......
Old 10-08-2005, 10:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for all the replies! What I have done is install a system fan in the case, and I no longer have any probs.

What could make a puter start overheating all of a sudden tho?

Closed Thread