Comp Randomly restarts.. No BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antec-User

Papa Chester
I moved from New Mexico to CT and hooked the computer up in the basement and used my 42" Plasma TV for the monitor, just for haha's..

I was having an issue with Win7 back in NM so I wiped it and installed XP Pro 64b when I got here. THAT'S when it started restarting or shutting down on me, I figured it was a bad install, so I dropped the clock back down to stock, wiped it again and installed Vista Ultimate.. It ran fine through the install, but once in the OS it shuts down and restarts randomly. No Bluescreen.

Seeing as it stayed awake through the install, I figured it was an OS problem, but it's doing it with both Vista and XP.

What gives? I was thinking it may be a short in the case somewhere, maybe a wire chafed against the case. Is this an issue with humidity? It was dry in NM but cool and humid in the basement here in CT.

I'm waiting on the last of my Tax money to come in so I can get a new case.. The front panel wires are just BARELY long enough to make it to the bottom of the board. I was thinking it was shorted up top there, but I'm not really in the mood to rip it apart right now. The HDMI Cable I'm using is barely long enough and I don't have a lot of desk room for the rig... I'll make room eventually, but I'm still tired from moving and I have stuff I need to get sorted out so I can start school on time.

My pump HAS had an issue where it didn't come on but that was back in NM and the comp didn't shut off.. I caught it in time. I smelled something and I looked at my water block and the coolant was boiling out into the lines so I yanked the power cord from the PSU.. :eek: It hasn't acted up since then... I don't think I fried the CPU with that overheat, it would have shut off when it got to an overheat condition. Scared the crap out of me tho.. :eek: All my cable management barely fits behind the side panel of the case, so it occasionally gives me issues, I have the side panel off now, since I moved back to be sure the pump came on.

Heh, i had that happen with my gpu loop. One of the wires had come loose from the molex and the pump didnt come on. Computer kept giving me a BSOD, and by chance while rebooting it my hand touched the res and it was super freaking hot. Didnt hurt anything though as the cards would just crash the system when they hit their thermal limit.

I think this was a buggy 4870 driver.. I just noticed when it shut down I had one red light on, on the card... So I didn't install the driver from the disc this time, I just went to Powercolor's website and grabbed an updated one. Seems fine now, *knock on wood.*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom