Comp passes POST then quits dipstick needs sage advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

almost2new

Solid State Member
:confused: Sorry to be redundent but I couldn't find a thread that helped. I have an old computer and while i know that it needs to go to the bone yard it is more than enough machine for my mom. IF i can get it to run again.

I had 2 hdd installed and I tried to take one out while the machine was running. (don't know why wasnt thinking. Now I realize that I must have unplugged the power cable to the a drive and it shut the unit down. I could not get it to restart and si I thought maybe I had blown a fuse( I know just enought to be dangerous, but I am learning) A local "computer repair person" told me to try removing the mobo battrery to reset the bios. I did this but still nothing. So i put it away for another time then I read and article that said to see if the power switch cable had come unplugged if this condition existed. I dug it out and started looking again. I found the a drive power cable unplugged. I plugged it in and viola' it runs but... it needed the time and date reset which i figured out. it seems to get throught the POST test fine and appears to find everything but then it just quits. Video is on it boots and runs throught the memory test and such and then when it would normally begin to boot windows it just stops and goes black. This was running XP pro when it quit but was probably windows 98 at best when new. I came here to get some good constructive ideas and realize im a dumb S*%$ for screwing it up to begin with but ... any help would be appreciated. thanks

first check if everything is seated correctly,
if so try to format both drives and reinstall windows again
also check if the jumpers are set in the right way(master/slave) on both drives, and also in the BIOS check if both drives are recognizable when set to AUTO

Windows may have become corrupted when you pull the power plug.

Try using the "upgrade" selection with the windows CD at boot. If that does not work, reformat and install windows again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom