Commputer won't boot up unless I hit the reset button after it goes through POST! Any - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 08:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Devious Techie

Send a message via ICQ to therascalking Send a message via AIM to therascalking Send a message via Yahoo to therascalking
Default Commputer won't boot up unless I hit the reset button after it goes through POST! Any

*Computer won't boot up unless I hit the reset button after it goes through POST! Any ideas?

so i built my brother a new computer for christmas, and everything works just fine, except one little detail. he claims when he turns it on, it runs through the initial POST information to start up. just when it should launch Windows XP, it hangs with a blank (black) screen, and nothing else happens! if he pushes the reset button, it boots again, and goes right into XP without a problem. Any ideas how he can get it to boot correctly the first time? thanks! - RK

*School, work, girls? No time for computers! :P*
Old 01-18-2009, 09:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: Commputer won't boot up unless I hit the reset button after it goes through POST!

can you list the hardware in the rig please? it actually sounds similar to an (unresolved) issue i've had with my current machine, though what happens with mine is when rebooting from linux it will stall just after the end of POST and require a hard reset to boot.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

Default Re: Commputer won't boot up unless I hit the reset button after it goes through POST!

Switch off legacy USB support and quick boot in BIOS and try again.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Old 01-18-2009, 11:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Im guessing. That there is something that is pluged in that it is trying to boot from.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Devious Techie

Send a message via ICQ to therascalking Send a message via AIM to therascalking Send a message via Yahoo to therascalking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitestick View Post
can you list the hardware in the rig please? it actually sounds similar to an (unresolved) issue i've had with my current machine, though what happens with mine is when rebooting from linux it will stall just after the end of POST and require a hard reset to boot.
can do, its a:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ CPU (stock cooled)
Gigabyte S-Series MA78GM-S2HP Micro-ATX Mobo
2 x 2GB G.Skill 800Mhz PQ's RAM (i think PQ's... the blue ones.)
EVGA Geforce 8800GTS 640MB GPU
Ultra X-Finity 600W PSU
Western Digitial RE2 500GB SATA HDD
Antec 300 Case

that should be all that matters... nothing is OC'd, bytheway... lemme know if you need any more details to help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmote View Post
Switch off legacy USB support and quick boot in BIOS and try again.
ill have him try this... thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cichlidkeeper91 View Post
Im guessing. That there is something that is pluged in that it is trying to boot from.
uhm... so youre saying to try checking the boot order in BIOS? o.O

thanks for the help everyone! :] - RK

*School, work, girls? No time for computers! :P*
Old 01-18-2009, 12:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

Yea. I had a friend that it would take like 20 min to boot his computer because he had his ipod plugged. Wierdest **** ever.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to philbar71

my mobo does that too. excecpt for only i have a flash drive plugged in or my external hdd is plugged in. try looking in the bios and disable something like boot from usb, or what ever it is called.

The only thing ATi can render faster than nVidia is the BSOD

SLI ON INTEL P45: http://www.techist.com/pc/f76/sli-intel-chipset-219886/

<<< i like rep :D
Closed Thread