Combining/Replacing RAM - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 07:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Combining/Replacing RAM

I just received a stock Dell precision 360 that I'd like to upgrade a bit.. My current computer is lacking a decent-speed processor, and the 2.8 Ghz on the Dell is better than my 1.99Ghz. Other than that, I have HD ATI graphics and 2 GB of RAM(2 sticks of 1GB). Now I want to put the RAM onto the Dell, which has 4 sticks of 256 MB. Those are DDR, and my RAM is most likely DDR2. Would the computer be able to run my DDR2 alone? I don't plan on combining them as they're different types, but I just want to assure myself before I start swapping the sticks.

Help is appreciated

Old 06-24-2009, 07:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Oldie but a goodie

Default Re: Combining/Replacing RAM

It would depend on if your current computer has a motherboard able to use DDR2. What is your current PC, before the Dell ? The 1.99Ghz one. If it isn't specifically capable of using DDR2, then no you can't use the DDR2 RAM.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

My current computer is a custom one that's already running the DDR2, but I'm trying to figure out if the 2.8 Ghz one can hold the DDR2 and not just DDR.
What's the easiest way to figure this out?
Old 06-24-2009, 07:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

You can see what type of Memory you need by going to Crucial.com and using there System Scanner or the Memory Advisor

RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, flash cards, SSD at Crucial.com
Old 06-24-2009, 07:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaymate View Post
You can see what type of Memory you need by going to Crucial.com and using there System Scanner or the Memory Advisor

RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, flash cards, SSD at Crucial.com
aha!
Memory upgrades from Crucial.com - Determine My Memory Needs

Both of my 1GB sticks are DDR, so that would mean I can fit them into the new computer?
If that problem is resolved, I think I'll have trouble with my graphics. It requires a power connector from the power supply, and I barely got the wires to extend to my graphics card in this computer. I don't see how I can do it in the new one though
Old 06-24-2009, 07:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Oldie but a goodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostedflake90 View Post

Both of my 1GB sticks are DDR, so that would mean I can fit them into the new computer?
If that problem is resolved, I think I'll have trouble with my graphics. It requires a power connector from the power supply, and I barely got the wires to extend to my graphics card in this computer. I don't see how I can do it in the new one though
It depends also what the maximum RAM you can use in the Dell. If it had (4) 256MB sticks, it may not take both 1GB sticks, I am thinking not but that is an assumption.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

If the new computer is also DDR then yes, they should work. But some PC's are picky so it's not guaranteed.

If the power supply is powerful enough to operate the card then all you'll need is an adapter. You should be able to find what your looking for here
Power Supply Adapter Cables : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come
Old 06-24-2009, 10:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

The presicion 360 uses DDR ram, so yes it will be able to use your old ram.

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Closed Thread