Coaxial Amplifier - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 05-04-2009, 08:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Coaxial Amplifier

Hey everyone,

I just recently (today actually) upgraded to Time Warner's Roadrunner Turbo with Powerboost. I'm supposed to be getting something in the range of 15mbps/2mbps connection however I've tried testing my connection both on and Using's test my connection was pretty pathetic. However when using SpeakEasy's test my download rate at best was about 11mbps (which I wasn't too upset about) however my upload speed was pathetic. The best I got was around 250kbps (Usually closer to 150kbps). When my family purchased and moved into this house we had Time Warner come out to run a couple new wires and we found out that the previous owners had done a ghetto job and ran all the wires themselves around the house and did it improperly with splitters all over the place. So they came back about a week later and installed an amplifier (it simply plugged into an AC jack in the wall with the coaxial cable running off that). It improved the picture in the house and none of the TV's were blurry anymore. However now I beginning to wonder if part of the reason I'm not getting the connection I'd like to be seeing is because of the shotty wiring job done by the previous occupants. Also my cable modem has a splitter right before the connection so that I can have both my TV and Modem run off the same line on the first floor. Would that be causing part of the problem as well?

I was looking into getting another coaxial amplifier to install right before my connection to my TV and cable modem to see if that wouldn't fix the problem. I've been looking at a couple on Amazon. Just wondering if any of you tech savy people could help me out and point me in the right direction. Motorola Signal Booster 484095-001-00 Bi-Directional RF Amplifier: Electronics

There is an example of what I might be looking for. If I purchased that would I need to purchase anything other than what is included in that package (such as the AC plug-in like what is installed in the basement)? Would I be able to run that right before my splitter to amplify my connection? Anything else I should consider?

Thanks in advance,

Old 05-04-2009, 08:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Grinch
Default Re: Coaxial Amplifier

A signal booster IMO won't help your connection speed, but if the people that wired the home used cheap splitters, that can cause issues... My cable line in the house splits 8 times before it hits the modem... It could also be your area and you are possibly to far from the server really... Enough people get online it can cause massive drops in your speeds.

BTW this would be better off in the networking forum as it is more of a networking issue at hand.
Closed Thread