CMOS Checksum error - Defaults loaded

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonkeyBusiness

Baseband Member
What does the error means? Why does it appears momentarily after powering up the computer? The BIOS does stay at where it is configured but as soon as the main poweer is off, the BIOS simply reset and the CMOS Checksum error - Defaults loaded appears. Sometimes it simply went into questioning about the play and play OS.
Some questions. Should the plug and play OS be enabled or disabled? It appears to be enabled by default.
Is reseting CMOS simply remove the coin battery for 30 seconds?

Usually removing the battery will reset all to default. Depends on the board. Some specify removing the battery before changing the cmos jumper to the reset position. You move the jumper to the reset position for about 15 second then replace to original position then replace the battery and reboot. First try another battery. If that doesn't help try another cmos chip if its replaceable on your board. If that doesn't work the board probably has a fault. Plug and play is usually disabled.That allows windows to set parameters. Thats pretty much the drill for Asus boards. I have an ASUS A8N SLI-PREMIUM with the same problem. Just have to leave the mains supply on as much as possible. More of an annoyance than anything. But indicates something is amiss with the board. Other than that it gives no problems. Good luck mate !

This happens when your Board doesn't boot a bunch, and your PC restores itself after a while of not booting (I get this screen sometimes on this stupid VIA Apollo Board)

but if you want the screen to go away just open your BIOS and hit Restore Defaults and it goes away after you save the settings and reboot

You get this error for one reason only if you didn't reset your bios on purpose. Your battery on the board is toast. It can't maintain enough juice to keep your bios settings. Find another battery with the same rating and change it.

You get this error for one reason only if you didn't reset your bios on purpose. Your battery on the board is toast. It can't maintain enough juice to keep your bios settings. Find another battery with the same rating and change it.

And what if you have changed the battery, done your bios settings, done save and exit, even installed a new cmos chip but the problem still reoccurs each time mains supply has been switched off. Sorry mate , not always so cut and dry. I have done all of the above and still have the problem. Can even leave the cmos jumper rest off, which is supposed to stop the system booting, yet the system still boots fine. This to me points to a breakdown in the board circuitry. ****, i can even leave the battery out of the board and as long as i don't switch off mains power all settings save and the system boots with the bios settings i have made still intact. I agree with you mate, nine times out of ten it will be the battery but not always. So if you can point me to the problem with my board i would appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom