CMOS Checksum Error - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 01:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Indeed.

Default CMOS Checksum Error

I shutdown my compy, flipped the PSU power switch, and swapped out hard drives. When I booted it up everything went normally and I saw the Windows 98 (heck yes) splash screen before turning around. When I turned back it was stuck at a black screen, so I hit the reset button. After that it wouldn't get past the memory testing in the BIOS. I turned it off and swapped the hard drives back, but when I turned it back on it still wouldn't get past this (after mem testing comes the IDE drive detection). After clearing my CMOS and booting back up it gave me a "CMOS Checksum Error" and I hit F1 to continue. I've reset the CMOS before and it has never done this. When Ubuntu loaded up I started surfing some pages before it hard froze. I worked some SysRq magic to reboot it, got back into Ubuntu, checked some logs, and found some network related daemon thinger was giving me some errors. I reinstalled it and everything worked fine after that. I haven't rebooted yet, though. So, here's my question:

Why?

Old 09-23-2008, 01:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default Re: CMOS Checksum Error

For one thing, anything can happen when running drivers written for another motherboard and video card.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I've gotten a Checksum Error when my date was simply set wrong. Simply correcting that fixed the issue.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurrentEweser View Post
For one thing, anything can happen when running drivers written for another motherboard and video card.
Umm, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngeloR View Post
I've gotten a Checksum Error when my date was simply set wrong. Simply correcting that fixed the issue.
I'll double check that, thanks.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
Umm, what?

You did boot using a drive with Windows 98 belonging to another machine right? Unpredictable things can happen as a result.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurrentEweser View Post
You did boot using a drive with Windows 98 belonging to another machine right? Unpredictable things can happen as a result.
Ah, no. Sorry, I should have explained. Both OS's were installed on this computer, just on separate drives that I swap occasionally.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
Ah, no. Sorry, I should have explained. Both OS's were installed on this computer, just on separate drives that I swap occasionally.

I was just wondering if it could have been bad code being executed that caused the problem leading to the checksum error.

Closed Thread