Clone or Image? That is the question

mwwwilson

In Runtime
So I have a minor job that I am doing for a friend. They're laptop screen is broke and they are shipping it back to HP for a fix or a new machine. I needed to clear out some nasty malware, adware, etc. Which is done.

Now here is my question.

This laptop may be swapped out for a new one by HP. How do I save her HDD data?
I have an external HDD that I can use to backup data. But here's the thing. There is already files, pictures, etc. on this external. Could I save a system image of this laptop on to this external? If so... and pardon my ignorance... HOW?

The thought is that if she gets a new laptop from HP that data is gone. Can I save an image and reload it onto a new laptop. So that her data will be back on it. She has some programs and pics that she needs. Like MS OFFICE that she only has a 2 computer license for.

I'm looking for the best way to save her data.

Suggestions?
Thanks
Mark

Would be a better idea to just copy off the files (basically the C:\Users\<username> directory), and then fresh install all required software and move the data back into the appropriate folders.

Should be able to re-activate Office on the new system as long as the old system is not used anymore (reformatted or at a minimum, Office is removed).

Would be a better idea to just copy off the files (basically the C:\Users\<username> directory), and then fresh install all required software and move the data back into the appropriate folders.

Should be able to re-activate Office on the new system as long as the old system is not used anymore (reformatted or at a minimum, Office is removed).

+1 - You could just copy everything in the user folder like Carnage was saying. One folder drag and drop that should capture all of the data, unless data is purposefully being store elsewhere. I always browse around the directories just in case, but...

Also, be sure to write down the product key or make sure you have the product key somewhere for Office before you send it. You'll need it for activation. Seems silly to say, I know, but so many folks don't think about it.

Thanks for the great advice. I am going to do both of these. Just in case.

I always do both, as it gives me the option to browse the folders or just do a complete restore with softwares etc..

I just like having more than one backup type.

Back
Top Bottom