Clock_Watchdog_Timeout

earwicker7

In Runtime
I've recently been having a problem with BSODs, and, sometimes, the computer just locking up and freezing with no BSOD. The BSODs give me the error Clock_Watchdog_Timeout.

My understanding is that this is often caused by a faulty CPU. The strange thing is that it only seems to happen when launching certain games. I don't get the error while surfing the net, or working on my graphic design software, etc.

How do I determine if I need to get another CPU?

FYI--I don't think this is related, as it's been an issue for well over a year, while the Clock_Watchdog_Timeout is new... in Device Manager, there is always a yellow triangle near High Definition Audio Controller. I've been able to just disable it without any (noticeable) effects.

Thanks!

Bug Check 0x101: CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT (Windows Debuggers)

Thread related: How to fix my CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT error - Windows 8

I assume the specs in your sig are for the system you're having issues with?

Do you have any dump logs under C:\Windows\Minidump that you can upload so we can analyze?

Are you overclocked at all? If yes - drop it back to stock voltages/clocks/etc.

Yes, that's my rig.

Nothing under Minidump... I just reverted from 8.1 back to 8, hoping that might solve the issue. There has been one BSOD, but it froze and wasn't able to go further than 0% in writing the dump file.

There are, however, some dump files under windows.old, which would be from just a few days ago when I was still on 8.1 I'm attaching the latest one, which I assume was from the watchdog issue, although I can't be sure, as I don't know how to read it. If that's not it, I can always try to force my rig into doing it again.

The only thing that might be considered overclocked is the memory... it's rated for 2133, and that's where I have it set, although I'm guessing that 1333 is stock for the board?

I'm now getting another BSOD that I got once in the last week before I reverted to Windows 8: Machine_Check_Exception. I just got two of these in a row. I've attached the dump file.

Asus Rampage IV Extreme; CPU: i7-3970X @ 4.7GHz;
The specs you posted shows that your cpu is overclocked. It's default speed is supposed to be 3.5 ghz. your over by 1.2 ghz. That can cause problems especially if your on a stock Intel heatsink and if your pc has started running hotter from getting dirty over time

Bug Check 0x9C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION (Windows Debuggers)

This one is also related to CPU.

You have no dump logs attached to any of your posts, btw.

IMO I'd warranty your CPU.

For some reason, I was using "Add Video".

I'm now trying to attach the .dmp files, but I'm getting an upload error message that they are invalid files. Do I have to convert them to a text file, or something like that? If so, how do I do it?

The specs you posted shows that your cpu is overclocked. It's default speed is supposed to be 3.5 ghz. your over by 1.2 ghz. That can cause problems especially if your on a stock Intel heatsink and if your pc has started running hotter from getting dirty over time

That's what it's capable of, but I've put it back to stock now that I'm having errors.

For some reason, I was using "Add Video".

I'm now trying to attach the .dmp files, but I'm getting an upload error message that they are invalid files. Do I have to convert them to a text file, or something like that? If so, how do I do it?

Put them in a zip file and either attach via the forum, or upload to a filesharing site.

Back
Top Bottom