Cleared CMOS, damaged mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamikaze84

Beta member
When I press the power button, the computer will not post, it powers down and back up every 3 or 4 seconds. Here's what I did just before it started:

1. Screwed around in BIOS with disabling iGPU if external VGA card present. Saved and exited.

2. Computer would not post, gave black screen.

3. Set jumpers to reset, powered on. The weird powering up, powering down cycle began.

4. Set jumpers to normal. Weird power cycling continues.

MSI board, if it matters. Is it dead?

Honestly, it could be the mobo or the PSU. Weird coincidence that the PSU would blow right after those settings though.

Try taking the RAM out and turning it on, see what happens. If it stays on, doesn't post, but beeps at you, then your mobo may be fine.

Otherwise, as well as doing the whole jumper thing, pop the battery out for about 30 seconds, then pop it back in, see what happens.

Before reading your post, I tried taking out the video card, unplugging DVD drive and extra HDD. The crazy thing booted up and I was able to load BIOS defaults. I put video card back in, everything is fine. The HDD and DVD drive still unplugged from PSU though. Any way to test if there's a problem with my power supply?

Well, normally I have a PSU tester at our shop...if everything seems to be booting up just fine, maybe it was just some setting in your BIOS that went screwy.

It had to be a screwy bios setting. It would be pretty big coincidence if the PSU failed at the same time you made bios changes but you never know. At this point the best way to test you psu is to power that baby up and see if it works with all of you devices hooked up.

It had to be a screwy bios setting. It would be pretty big coincidence if the PSU failed at the same time you made bios changes but you never know. At this point the best way to test you psu is to power that baby up and see if it works with all of you devices hooked up.

I just did that and something weird is happening. I actually moved a fan from the side of the case to the front, so I took that opportunity to hook all my devices up and see what happened.

When I hit the switch on the back of the PSU, I heard clicks about one second apart, sounded like from the floppy drive, with accompanying flashes from the activity light on the front of the case.

THEN, I unplugged everything, hit the switch, no green light on the mobo and a buzzing sound from the PSU. So PSU is fried, right?

Don't think so. If the psu was fried, you probably wouldn't get any noise from it. If you have a multimeter, go to this site:Power Supply Troubleshooting and follow the steps. This will determine without a doubt if your psu is bad. As always, USE CAUTION!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom