Choppiness in Gameplay...Check my specs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

grassygnome

Beta member
The issue that I'm having is my computer, generally while playing a video game, sort of “jerks” or feels very choppy. The video game I play primarily is Lord of the Rings Online.

Now, I thought that I had a pretty decent desktop machine. Its specs are:

AMD Phenom II x6 core 1035T Processor @ 2.6ghz
8gigs of memory
1TB 7200 RPM HD
Nvidia Geforce GTX 560ti with 1gig ram
600 Watt PSU
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Connection: 20mbps on wireless dual-band Netgear N600 router and network card

I've cleaned my machine in both the hard ware and software. I keep it tidy, as no background applications are running, spy/malware, bloat ware or programs at startup. It also is not a connection issue, as it is a very clean, uninterrupted signal.

This issue occurs no matter what video setting I have it on. It will run very smoothly, but while running smoothly (high FPS) it will just cut and chop..it's incredibly annoying! I've spent way more than I should on getting this machine pieced together, to make my gaming experience as smooth as possible, but this thing runs about as good as my 5 year old HP did…with and athlonx2 4gigs of ram and an nvidia 8800gt!

Sitting next to me, my girlfriend can play on her desktop with an intel core 2 duo quad with an nvidia 450 GT and 4 gigs of ram and it runs seamlessly. It's really amazing…

Can anyone help? Perhaps give any advice on what can cause this in all of my games? I'm desperate…I just want to really enhance my gaming experience.

Thank you!

Check your temperatures. Get HWMonitor. Have it open, and play the game for a few minutes. Then send us a screenshot of HWMonitor, so we know the max and min temps

What powersupply is the 600W?

I've played it just fine my 9600m gt

How are other games? You are quite right in that this system should rip through it with little issues.

Hmm, have you ever run 3dmark on your system? It could show whats causing issues, cpu or gpu, or if your systems perfoirming as it should be.

3DMark | video card benchmark, best graphics card test, overclock test and there is a free version.

I'll run temps when I get home. Though, I did have to take the case cover off...with it on, it sounded like a vacuum cleaner (Came stock that way...an ASUS Essentio 1330-05 or something of the sort)

The PSU is a Thermaltake 600W...the same that best buy sells, I believe. It's hard to think that it's power starved, but who knows. And yeah, it's doing this on a few games.

Oye!

Nvidia "recommends" a 550W psu for a 560ti system, and a poorer quality 600Wpsu won't be able to run at 600W, or even 550W. So while yours is okay, its a real possibility that the situation could happen.

Okay just che checked out your base system... did you just put the 560 in?

I'm thinking its a heat issue based by the case. Try poping off the side panel to allow more cooling. While youre inthere, double check the cpu fan is secure. and the fan spin

I just recently put it in, yes. About a month ago. Prior, I had a GTS 450...which was a hog as well. I've heard from quite a few different places that it may seem to be a big issue.

Another question that I have, being that it's a 2.6ghz processor with a stock board, would it behoove me to buy a new board and overclock it a little? If so, what would be a decent (and fairly priced) cooler for the CPU?

Most modern video cards need a lot of cpu power to operate at peak performance. Until your core speeds gets up to approximately 3.6-3.8GHz your bottlenecking the video. And having more slower speed cores just doesn't equal up.

I would definitely consider overclocking but I'm not up on AMD motherboards to give you expert advise on that. I would help you pick a heatsink but you should wait until you decide upon a mobo so we can maximize your budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom