CHKDSK Problem Stops?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smashedpumpkins

In Runtime
Alright I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with my hard drive. Every few minutes up to every few hours my laptop randomly turns off, BSOD's, or turns off with a loud sound of static.

I right clicked my hard drive, went to Tools, and clicked "Check Now". This setup the CHKDSK for the next time I restart my laptop. I restarted my laptop and the process began. It takes 2-3 hours to get to the point of the freezing. I've run it twice now. Both times it freezes at 87 percent complete. I left it at 87 percent all last night for over 8 hours and it never moved. Here's a screen shot of it. Anyone have a clue why it freezes? Is this what's causing my hard drive problems?

2my6t85.jpg

(I'm almost positive it's the hard drive... I've had the mobo replaced and the drive wipped)

I've got a new one I bought. I was just hoping there may be the slightest chance I could fix this one. It's usable... Sometimes I can go a day with no crashes. Other times It happens twice in an hour. Seems like it'd go to waste. Any idea what it means?

Well fresh operating system and on a new hard drive and it still randomly turns off on me... The mobo was replaced under warranty a couple months ago too. So any idea how I can figure out what's causing it?

Does the new HD pass chkdsk?

What are your temps? Have you tested the PS to ensure it is giving a constant flow of power?

Does the new HD pass chkdsk?

What are your temps? Have you tested the PS to ensure it is giving a constant flow of power?
I'm on my laptop so nothings overclocked. Temps are stock and well I'd assume my PS is working out. I'll run a CHKDSK on this hard drive after class. Thanks. Any ways to test the processor?

Well temps could still be an issue (forget about the PS though since it is a laptop). What I would do is clean everything out with a can of air. Then download a free temp monitorying program to see if maybe your computer is overheating.

You may also want to ensure you donm't have any malware/spyware or virus's. While i highly doubt that is the cause of the restarts it wouldn't hurt to check.

Well temps could still be an issue (forget about the PS though since it is a laptop). What I would do is clean everything out with a can of air. Then download a free temp monitorying program to see if maybe your computer is overheating.

You may also want to ensure you donm't have any malware/spyware or virus's. While i highly doubt that is the cause of the restarts it wouldn't hurt to check.

Right on. It isn't running too hot at all. As for Viruses it's a new hard drive with a fresh operating system. So no chances there. :\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom