CHKDSK Error

aimo3

In Runtime
I connected a faulty laptop HDD to a desktop PC as a secondary HDD. I've got the attached screen. What does it exactly mean?

Attachments

• chkdsk.jpg
    chkdsk.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 2
You'll need to run chkdsk with the repair flag.

chkdsk <drive letter> /f /r

It will attempt to repair the possibly damaged sectors. If it can't repair them...then the drive isn't looking good and you'll have to try and recover data off of it some way.

Usually Windows has issues reading dying drives, so I would suggest that if you can't access the drive in Windows after running the chkdsk repair, then create a Linux LiveCD or LiveUSB (such as Ubuntu), boot off of it, and access the drive through Linux. I've had much greater luck accessing dying drives that way than through Windows.

Ubuntu window shows 185 bad sectors and doesn't present a link to open any volume in this hard disc. Does it mean it is badly ruined?

Attachments

• ubuntu.png
    ubuntu.png
    96.8 KB · Views: 2
Reading the SMART values would give you a better indicator of the drive's health over just bad sectors. Bad sectors do indicate damage on the drive, but concern should be raised when they continually show up.

Did you run chkdsk /f /r from Windows? That will mark the Bad Sectors as unusable by the OS and it will avoid them.

If you have a Windows install disc or USB installer, you can run chkdsk from the recovery options there. If you don't have one, you can download the Windows 10 installer and use the chkdsk from that.

"The volume does not contain a recognised file system", cmd says. I've given up.

Thanks a lot,

You may have to find the drive letter; sometimes the installer takes over the C: drive or assigns it to a different drive. Type in "diskpart" (without quotes), then "list volume" and it will list the drive letters that cmd recognizes. Figure out which one is your "C:" drive within Windows, and run chkdsk on that.

Back
Top Bottom