Chkdisk deleted my sound drivers thread. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 11-20-2005, 12:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Chkdisk deleted my sound drivers thread.

ok for **** sake i think we need a mod in here. calm down everyone. malakius contrary to what you think not everyone on this forum is a dumb *******. but acting like an ******* tends to make other people do so as well, someone here may have said the first insult but they were right you were acting like an *******. help us to help you, so get over it. and my guess is you have something messing with you on the windows side of things. if uninstalling and re-installing drivers doesn't work that suggests either windows is corrupted or has a virus. that or your sound adapter is actually screwed and by pure coincidence stopped working following chkdisk. that makes me think, why was the comp running chkdisk, was it scheduled or had the computer crashed?
Strange, since Windows never gave me any problem at all.

So this means, windows reinstall?

Old 11-20-2005, 03:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Chkdisk doesn't delete drivers. It has nothing to do with drivers. It's a coincidence.

Reformat and reinstall Windows.

Old 11-20-2005, 05:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Crap. Would that be a problem for the internet? I mean, I use cable, and reinstall Windows would mean to actually have to call Comcast again, since I had an issue with them.

Or does Windows do it automatically?
Old 11-20-2005, 09:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

You wouldn't happen to be using Boston Accoustics woud you? On the older ones, and maybe some newer, you had a problem with an internal fuse in the sub woofer. Everything seemed fine, power on the speakers, drivers are fine, etc., you had to unplug it for about 1/2 hour (it was a delayed set fuse that was very tempramental). I've had to do this before. Also, another thing to keep in mind. When checking system properties, do this in safe mode. You will sometimes see ghost hardware (multiple instances of the same hardware that show up in safe mode but not in normal). Check in safe mode, then. One thing to try is the following (yes, it requires a reinstall of the sound card driver after doing the following steps):

1. In services, check that WinAudio service is enabled, set to automatic, and running.
2. In Device Manager, System Devices check that Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator is installed and running

If not , then you need to reinstall it:

1. Copy machine.inf from %windir%\inf to your desktop
2. Remove line ExcludeFromSelect=*
3. Use Add new hardware wizard using the Have Disk option
4. Select the machine.inf you saved on the desktop
5. Install Plug and Play Software Device

Uninstall the sound card from DM and then scan for hardware changes. Also check event viewer and see if any errors are there and report them.
If you argue with an idiot he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Closed Thread