Chipset fan problems -Help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

xven

Baseband Member
My PC had been making weird noises as of late. Concerned, I checked it out and found the problem. My chipset fan is having trouble spinning. When the PC boots up it's all fine and spins, but after a few minutes it starts slowing down and eventually moves very slow making noises. Seems like my chipset fan is dying. I really don't see how this might be a psu issue as mine is 500w. When I give it a little nudge it will go back to it's normal speed, but will follow the same slow down routine. I really don't know what might be causing the problem. Any other solutions than taking it apart/replacing it. I'm no tech lord, so I would like replacing/repairing as my last option. In the case I have to replace this, am I looking at getting a "chipset" fan specifically? What does a reliable one cost around? Thanks for your time, it's appreciated. It is connected to the pwr fan socket located on the mobo just under the processor, if that's any help. And am I looking at a heatsink by anychance? Or is a heatsink the big fan mounted on my processor? Thanks

try plugging it in a different slot on the mobo. if not, replace it. or try using a different psu

And by other slot, which one's would you be referring to. There is just this one, all the rest are labeled chassis and are nowhere near. Is this fan important?

it keeps the chipset cool, on my sony computer(dont even talk about it) never had a chipset fan on it. and it worked fine. my comp right now has a chipset fan, i think you shuold just replace it

http://www.pccasegear.com.au/category41_1.htm

why dont you just leave it unplugged, and run a fan over it. got any more case fans?

PZEROFGH said:
it keeps the chipset cool, on my sony computer(dont even talk about it) never had a chipset fan on it. and it worked fine. my comp right now has a chipset fan, i think you shuold just replace it

http://www.pccasegear.com.au/category41_1.htm

why dont you just leave it unplugged, and run a fan over it. got any more case fans?
Thanks for the advice. I'll leave it unplugged for the time being and when I get the chance to replace it, I will. I'm thinking of just sending it back to asus since I do have a warranty on their crappy line of mobo's and getting another, but If I do get one around cheap that would also do the job. Well, I am getting a chassis fan soon. Don't suppose that would cool the chipset now, would it? I currently have two case fans, I believe. One in the front and another on the side. The chassis one I am getting will be the rear. Will this cool the chipset?

Wow! They want me to send the whole motherboard in for a $1 fan. GG asus. G, fu*ging G!

Rule #1 - In future computer shopping, avoid Asus, they have degraded in quality yet still carry a heavy pricetag, and their technical support is terrible

You want to see if the fan is being obstructed by dust or debris, a can of compressed air will work well for cleaning it out.

Your BIOS may also be dictating the fan speed based on the chipset temperature, and reducing fanspeed when the chipset is cool enough to allow it. You can disable this in the BIOS if you wish.

Many chipset fans are low quality and will die though, you can buy aftermarket chipset coolers, or you can modify an active fan over the current chipset heatsink with zipties or something along those lines. The chipset does not get very hot and that should be supplementary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom