Checksum error and random freeze ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soleth

Solid State Member
I built two computers for gaming some time back and one of them seems to be having trouble. Both computers were running great until my wife's system started to act strangely. Both computers are built the same and mine has never had any trouble.

The build:

EVGA 680i LT SLI Motherboard, socket LGA775, Nforce chipset.
Intel Dual Core @ 2.0 ghz
A-DATA 2x1 gig RAM
x2 Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT video cards
160 gig Western digital HD
Rosewill ATX case w/ 550 watt psu
Windows Vista x64 OS

The system ran great for about six months and then it started having an issue with recognizing the HD as 32 MB instead of 160 (76 left) gigs. This issue has not happened for some time now but was very annoying. I don't remember exactly how I fixed it but it came down to plugging it into a different sata port and/or updating the MB drivers / chipset.

After a while it ran ok again, but then another issue started to come up. A checksum error. So I changed out the bios battery and that seemed to work for a little while until it started coming back to the checksum error again.

After multiple battery changes, the computer will now randomly freeze especial after being shutdown for a while (usually takes three start ups to get it to the desktop) So we just leave it on now, but sometimes it will be froze up in the morning when we wake up.

Did virus scans and spyware scans and have come up with nothing there, and all the drivers are updated except for the BIOS. I have not figured out how to set the boot priority on this type of MB bios (Phoenix). I have a CD disk that has the update on it, just have to figure out how to set the boot priority.

From what I have found on web searching, if the bios update doesn't work then I might have a hardware malfunction and will have to send the board out for work or get a new one. I also read that these MB types have issues like this and some don't. Luckily these boards have dropped in price to 99$, at the time I built mine they were up into the 200$ + range if I remember correctly. The problem is that Newegg is sold out of them, and EVGA says they are on back order.

Soleth

You'd probably be better off getting a newer more up to date motherboard for yourself and give your wife your system.:D

I disconnected all the components from the psu, took out the ram, vidcards and swapped the cmos battery out with a Duracell store bought lithium 2032 3v. (Always thought I had to order it special) Plugged everything back together and now my wife hasn't had a problem since.

*Shrug*

I posted this in another thread but ill copy paste it here too.

The random freezing is from nvidia drivers and vista. The drivers and vista dont get along, me and my friend, both nvidia cards (8800gt and 9800gtx) and vista ultimate have this random freezing problem. I don't think theres a fix.

If you search "vista random freezing nvidia" ull see alot of ppl have the same problem.

I re-installed vista, but it just came back, ima revert back to windows xp this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom