Check This - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 11-05-2008, 11:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Check This

So I had a random power outage a few months ago. Both my PC's were running and were shut off because of it. Since then, both PSU's blew, both mobo's have gone bad, one of my hard drives went, and now within a few weeks both my video cards are dead. My video card was working until I put in a new PSU today. After I put it in, I now have no signal on my monitor. I put the old PSU in that was working 1 hour before hand with the video card to see if the video card had indeed died, and in fact the video card seems dead. Basically, I had replaced one computer with a PSU and was using it to test both computers. I then left that one PSU in one computer. When the new one came in I replaced it and put it in the other computer. One video card must have blew a few weeks ago, but I didn't realize because I blamed it on a bad PSU. What kind of crap is this. I think my CPU is also damaged because it maxes out during 30 player TF2 maps. I can't believe both my computers are dying at the same rate. I'm spending as much money mailing in RMA's to buy one or two new parts for a new machine. Anyone have a story similar to this?

Old 11-06-2008, 12:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via AIM to Ethan_Kaizer Send a message via MSN to Ethan_Kaizer
Default Re: Check This

I've heard of plenty of stories of bad power outages, but that seems really bad. Several parts of two computers busted seems brutal.

||Core 2 Duo E4600 @ 2.4 GHz (OC coming soon) || Biostar TP45HP || 4GB Kingston DDR2 667 RAM ||
Sapphire HD 4670 512mb @778/1140 || Antec Trio 650w || Maxtor 250gb 7200 RPM HDD || Lite-On DVD-RW || Black Aluminum Case||
Old 11-06-2008, 01:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I haven't heard one as bad as this. You should invest in a couple of surge protector, APC makes good ones...
Old 11-06-2008, 07:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Better yet get a good UPS with AVR.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Just replaced one 7600 GT with this - Recertified: EVGA 320-P2-N811-RX GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card. It seemed to good a deal to pass up. I have to see if any of my 7600's are still under warranty. If they both are, I will set up a SLI in one of my computer's.
Closed Thread