Charging A Tablet Without A Port - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-25-2015, 01:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4
Default Charging A Tablet Without A Port

Currently have a Asus Vivotab Note 8 with a broken charging port. Normally I would just solder a new one on. However the connections on the PCB board are damaged and it is almost impossible to find and when I did it was at least $65 which is a bit much.

Did tons of research, cannot really find anything useful. I just need a way to bypass and charge the battery without it exploding.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Edit - First post? Ahh, the board must have been cleaned at home point since 2010.
__________________

Xiroteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
rulezero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,685
Default Re: Charging A Tablet Without A Port

Hi and Welcome!

I haven't got a clue, its a shame it doesn't come with wireless charging, my phone does which is a cool ft.

Only way is what you stated and buying new part, or maybe you can find a cheaper spares and repairs and open it up for the part.

When I damaged my smartphone screen it was cheaper to buy the same phone which was broken but with the parts I needed than buying the parts alone!
__________________

__________________
Don't like what I say, ban me!
rulezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4
Default Re: Charging A Tablet Without A Port

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2D__ View Post
Hi and Welcome!

I haven't got a clue, its a shame it doesn't come with wireless charging, my phone does which is a cool ft.

Only way is what you stated and buying new part, or maybe you can find a cheaper spares and repairs and open it up for the part.

When I damaged my smartphone screen it was cheaper to buy the same phone which was broken but with the parts I needed than buying the parts alone!
Originally I was just going to solder a new port to the PCB board however the connectors are too damaged so that is a no go. I thought, maybe I can just find a as is tablet that is even smashed for really cheap as long as that part is good. Nope, not common enough. Wireles charging would be amazing!

I can get a new Windows tablet for about a hundred new, however it does not have wacom. The battery has a six wire lead motherboard plug in and nothing on if there is a way to charge it outside of the tablet. $65 for the part is a bit TOO much. $20 and I would buy it in a second.

I may end up just buying the new tablet and hold on to this until I can figure it out or run into an as is tablet.
Xiroteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: n/a
Posts: 2,956
Default Re: Charging A Tablet Without A Port

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiroteus View Post
I can get a new Windows tablet for about a hundred new, however it does not have wacom. The battery has a six wire lead motherboard plug in and nothing on if there is a way to charge it outside of the tablet. $65 for the part is a bit TOO much. $20 and I would buy it in a second.

I may end up just buying the new tablet and hold on to this until I can figure it out or run into an as is tablet.
I suggest you go ahead and do that, if you wait for an as is to appear on ebay or amazon for for 100.00 or below.
You may as well forget it, it'll be a year before that item prices drop dramatically.
People buy it like its going out of style, you can buy this.
New HP Stream 7 Tablet 32 GB Windows 8 1 Signature Edition Office 365 Personal | eBay

It has a 20% price drop from microsoft, if you need wacom or pen just buy your own or use the one you have,
-RockMan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4
Default Re: Charging A Tablet Without A Port

Quote:
Originally Posted by -RockMan- View Post
I suggest you go ahead and do that, if you wait for an as is to appear on ebay or amazon for for 100.00 or below.
You may as well forget it, it'll be a year before that item prices drop dramatically.
People buy it like its going out of style, you can buy this.
New HP Stream 7 Tablet 32 GB Windows 8 1 Signature Edition Office 365 Personal | eBay

It has a 20% price drop from microsoft, if you need wacom or pen just buy your own or use the one you have,
The biggest weakness is that it will not have wacom pressure sensitivity which was a huge selling point. Maybe later as there is just no cheap way to fix or even charge it.
Xiroteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Private Joker
 
carnageX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,505
Default Re: Charging A Tablet Without A Port

When you say the connections to the PCB are damaged...what do you mean?

Do you mean the traces are damaged? If the connections for the port are damaged..that shouldn't matter as long as the PCB/traces are fine, since then you'd be able to just desolder the old connector and solder a new one on.

If you had a variable power supply (or heck, even an old cable you could cannibalize), you could connect the wires directly to the appropriate traces to make a charge-only cable somehow.
__________________
Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5


If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4
Default Re: Charging A Tablet Without A Port

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
When you say the connections to the PCB are damaged...what do you mean?

Do you mean the traces are damaged? If the connections for the port are damaged..that shouldn't matter as long as the PCB/traces are fine, since then you'd be able to just desolder the old connector and solder a new one on.

If you had a variable power supply (or heck, even an old cable you could cannibalize), you could connect the wires directly to the appropriate traces to make a charge-only cable somehow.
The pcb board traces are damaged so when I solder anything on to it there is no connection. I even cannibalized a micro usb cable to solder it directly.
__________________

Xiroteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help a tablet newb pick his first android tablet jfenwick Phones, Tablets, and other Handheld Devices 5 04-29-2014 09:57 AM
iPod keeps charging...and charging.... Total Immortal Apple and Mac 2 12-09-2005 04:37 PM
A website with a port other than port 80 Discusman ISP and Web Hosting 1 03-23-2004 03:21 AM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.