CD ROM tray

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehgit

In Runtime
Hello?

I am attempting to fix a friend of mines CD ROM. He brought it to me saying that the tray would not open. I took it apart and found no apparent defects. Here's the strange part (to me at least), the tray opens fine as long as the upper housing (metal casing) is NOT on. The second I place the upper housing onto it, the tray will not open. I have even tried using another housing with the same result. There doesn't seem to be anything that would prevent the tray from opening unless it has something to do with that little blue (stabilizing?) disk that is part of the upper housing. Any one know what I may be able to do without replacing the whole thing?

Re: Hello?

For 15 dollars i would opt to replace the drive. I bet you could find a used CD ROM at a local computer store for 15 dollars. If not you could purchase a new DVD-RW for under 30 bucks online...

Not worth the trouble IMO.

Yea just go out and buy 1...A cd or dvd rom drive now days are cheap...Post in the buy-sell-trade forums. Some1 will sell you 1 for 10 bucks ill bet!!

Thanks Lex and Asylum, I knew it would be easier to just buy a new one, but it's the mystery of it that gets me! Why only when the housing is on does the stupid tray not open!!:mad: Things like this get to me; I just have to figure them out for some reason. I just have to know why.
OK, I'm over it....thanks again.

LOL, well maybe the friction isn't allowing the drive to open. Point is after 15 minutes of 'fiddling' i would just suggest purchasing a new drive. If i was your customer I wouldn't want a drive after you've dismantled it anyways because the part is obviously defective or broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom