CD-ROM Power Wire Fuse? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 11:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default CD-ROM Power Wire Fuse?

Is there some kind of fuse connected or associate with the CD-ROM power wire? Was installing 2nd CD-ROM and forgot to turn off power. Obviously inserted power wire upside down and it sparked. My 1st CD-ROM was still connected at the time. Now, computer powers up, goes for about 30 secs and then beeps daaaaaaaadada. Nothing comes up on monitor. Tried to get customer support, but they seem to be out of business. I am running WindXP Prof. I know I must have shorted something out but cannot find a fuse anywhere. Should I open the power box? Can anyone help? I am sending this msg on a different computer.
Sure could use some help! Thanks.

Old 07-25-2006, 11:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to dipique

Sounds like you fried your mobo or your PSU. Probably your mobo, from the sound of it. Switch it out if you have one handy.

Dan

Old 07-25-2006, 12:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I know mobo means motherboard. What does PSU mean? Do you mean by "switch it out to replace the motherboard? Is there a way to test the motherboard to see if it if fried or not? Are you sure it is not just a fuse somewhere? Logic tells me there should be a fuse setup somewhere on the same concept as house wiring for shorted wire instances.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I removed my video card as well as all connections to it. Hooked up one monitor using the regular plug on the computer. My computer stopped beeping and I got picture on my monitor. Both CD-ROMs now operate properly. Does that mean the video card got fried? If so, any to tell where or what? I like using 2 monitors so is there any to repair a video card? It was on an AGP slot so could any portion of the motherboard by bad since it now works OK? Thanks.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

PSU is power supply unit. That seems like a weird one, but if there's a surge it could really land anywhere. Search the card. If you see a 'switch' (usually a small cylinder) that looks like it could be a fuse, try it. Although it does seem somewhat logical, the sensitive and complex nature of boards must go against the idea of failsafe fuses for everything. I'm not an electrician so much, but I've seen plenty enough fried components to realize it. If you really want to try fixing it, you'd have to check every connector and see if one of them has a short. It could be the processor in the video card, or one of the many other things that can't be repaired easily. That approach isn't recommended.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Indeed.

If you are sure that it's the video card, you are gonna have to get a new one. There is no realistic way to repair a fried component. Video cards are pretty cheap these days, as long as you are not a heavy gamer.

Old 07-26-2006, 12:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks folks. Since I took out the video card, removed the connections to it and went back to the plug that was on the computer and everything seems to work, logic tells me that it was/is a video card problem. I must have fried it when I screwed up by not turning off my PC while working on it. Just to be sure, I think I will take the video card somewhere and have them check it out for me. Again, many many thanks for your help. I really appreciated it.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie

youve no gaurantee that your motherboard isnt damaged, but hey, if it works alright ,what the **** , maybe turn it off next time you wanna add hardware

250 Gb Western Digital
OCZ Modsteam 450W
7900GT Gainward
Flux Capacitor....SWEEEET
Closed Thread