Cd-rom boot problem.. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 09-12-2008, 02:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Cd-rom boot problem..

Hey all im new here.. I got another computer from a neigbor and when I go to turn it on I get this message saying "sorry for the inconvinience, Windows did not start properly due to a software/hardware change" It gives me the option to start windows in safe mode, start windows and go to command prompt, start windows normally, and start windows with last know working settings.. The problem is none of those options work, they bring me back to the same screen, I have the boot/windows cd but the drive wont work for some reason, but it worked when I first turned the comp on "little light on cd drive" but now the light doesnt show, like its not getting power.. I have tried plugging in different power cables into the back of the drive but still nothing, and im almost positive the cd drive is good.. What can I do? I cant even get to the command prompt ( C:\) in dos. Thanks

Old 09-12-2008, 02:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Default Re: Cd-rom boot problem..

There's no telling what kind of problems came with that computer. I'd do a fresh install Windows.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Right thats what im trying to do.. but the cd drive is all the sudden not working, it wont open, the light doesnt come on.. So I cant reinstall windows.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar

Check to make sure the cables are connected. Also ensure that the boot priority is changes so that the CD rom drive is checked first.
-Vista SME
Old 09-13-2008, 09:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yea it did turn out to be the drive.. thanks for replies..

Closed Thread