CD/DVD Drives not responding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalak

Solid State Member
My CD/DVD drives are not currently working properly. Whenever I put a CD or DVD into one of them they do not read it and come up with the message "E:/ (or D:/) IS NOT ACCESSIBLE". This is an extremely annoying problem for me as I can't install or even read CD/DVDs which, as we all know, are essential to computers.

I do not want work arounds for this problem, such as copying the files onto one computer and porting them to the other. I would like a permanent solution to ensure my CD/DVD drives can read the CD/DVDs data correctly.

I do not have starforce drivers on my computer.

Thanks,
Kaladarus.

First, make certain the IDE cables are seated properly and not "cockeyed". Be sure they are firmly seated on the controller and the device.

Next, make sure the molex (power) connector is seated firmly in the socket.

If neither of these suggestions are not an issue, check in your CMOS setup utility and see if the drive is being detected. You may need to configure the CMOS to automatically detect the device(s).If this also is not an issue, you might want to consider the possibility that you have a physical problem with the device and it may need replaced.

Hmm, 'tis a strange problem.

You see, this computer, is not new, a few years old infact and still works perfectly fine. The problem cropped up a few weeks back and is still there. I have done virus checks, spyware and adware checks, I've even ran a Starforce driver remover tool through it and it still doesn't work.

I'm pretty sure the drives are in the right place, as I've said, they've been working fine for years now. By the way, these are two different CD/DVD Drives and they both don't "see" a disk when its in. "E:/ is inaccessable" (sp?) is all that comes up when I put a cd in and click "Explore" or "Run".

Once again, these drives have been running fine for a couple of years so I really doubt a CMOS check-up would do anything. I could and will try it, without a doubt, but as to whether it will turn up anything I'm unsure.

It could be a physical problem, such as you suggest, but once again these are two different drives, one that was bought along with the computer and it's other parts and one bought at a later date. To both fail simultaniously seems highly improbable. Also, Windows XP (SP2) detects both of the drives and can see them as clear as glass, its just they don't physically pick up a disk inside, I think.

Thanks,
Kaladarus.

Are they both on the same controller?...a master and slave on the same cable? If so, I woud do as I suggested earlier: Check the cable for what's commonly known as "chip creep", because it can occur with IDE cables occassionally.

If they ARE on the same cable/controller and the cable is seated into both the controller and devices properly, you might consider taking both devices out and putting them into another PC. If they work, you could have a faulty controller.

Lastly: If you've ever had a surge (even a minor one), it could have messed with the CMOS...you never know, it's worth checking into at the very least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom