CD/DVD drives misidentified

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kahlan

Beta member
I hope someone can help me with this. I'm not much of a tech person, but I have installed a HD and other things on my own without a prob, until now.

Okay, here goes.

I have:
AMD 1800 processor (1150 mghz) (2003 replaced original)
AMD K7S5A PRO Rev 5.0 motherboard (2003 replaced original)
PINE CD-ROM (bought in 2001 with the original processor and mobo) (Originally set as Secondary Master)
Maxtor 120 GB HD (additional - now primary Master)
Western Digital 40 GB HD (original - now primary slave)
Operating System: XP Home

New:
LG CD-Rewriter 411HEYT204306 Model: GCE-8526B (bought end of 2005 as a Xmas gift to me, built in 2004 according to tag on drive -_-; )
LITEON DVD/CD-writer combo 262606406854 Model SOHC-5236V06C (built in 2006 according to tag on drive)

PROBLEM:
I'm currently having to reinstall Windows XP every 30 days (activation period) with a borrowed copy until I can afford to buy. I've been doing this for several months with no probs. Installations using my PINE CD-ROM player went perfectly, the PINE has worked perfectly for the 5 years I've had it.

Last month I finally went to install the LG CD-Rewriter (yeah, I procrastinate a bit). I set the PINE as Master and the LG Rewriter as slave on the secondary master. I booted up as normal but noted on the POST that the PINE CD-ROM now had a different 'name'. When I got into Windows I accessed the PINE CD-ROM and put in a disc, but no matter what disc I put in, even when the files were not audio, it saw them as .cda files. I tried the LG Rewriter. It wouldn't read ANY files, not even recognizing a disc had been entered.

I shut down, got into the CMOS after restarting, reset them to show I had two optical devices. Rebooted. Same new name, same prob. I shut down, switched out the drives (LG as master, PINE slave), rebooted, same result. I attempted cable select and tried the different combos to no avail--same results.

Instead of identifying my PINE CD-ROM as PINE with a string of characters (numbers and letters), it changed to PIHA with a string containing not just characters but symbols as well. When I looked at the LG Rewriter name, it was a similar situation. It's the same in the POST as in the control panel, too, because I went there to delete, and rebooted to let the computer reidentify as new hardware. Every time it comes up as the funky string name.

I downloaded a FIRMWARE update for the LG rewriter, being it was a model that needed it. However, when I went to install the upgrade, the file refused, saying it was not the correct model... SO, I looked at the LG name on my computer. If I read the name correctly the model number is at the end of the string. It's not even the same numbers, where at least on my PINE the numbers for the model match, even though there is a symbol thrown in.

I'm getting fairly frustrated at this point (over a period of days), because I'm needing to reinstall Windows as the trial period is winding down and I don't have a working CD player.

----

My XP expired over a week ago, so I can't boot up into Windows without the demand for the activation code and losing the partition when I refuse, and no CD player to install it on either drive if I do.

To test to see if perhaps I had messed up both the CD drives, last night I bought the LITEON DVD/CD-writer combo. I installed it this morning all by itself on the Secondary Master... and I get a funky string name, with LOTS of symbols in it. *sigh*

At this point I'm thinking it HAS to be the motherboard and/or BIOS. Remember, the PINE CD-ROM worked normally, played normally up to this point. BOTH the hard drives are recognized correctly and work.

Does anyone have a clue?
:(

Edit: I nearly forgot. Right at/before I was installing the LG Rewriter, I found msnwebmgr.exe (virus/trojan) on my computer, which I finally managed to remove with some effort. Could it have been part of the prob?

I'm not sure about the virus.

Are you still using the same IDE cable, because I think that might be the source of your problems. Have you tried using the PINE CD-ROM by itself again? What about resetting the CMOS.

I'm using the same IDE cable throughout.

I've tried the PINE CD-ROM by itself. It still comes out the funky string name and still sees all files as .cda. I've attempted just the LG Rewriter. Same thing--funky string name and reads nothing.

I've gone back into the CMOS and tried different settings, but still have the same prob no matter how I set it.

It's getting to the point where I think I'm going to have to reset the BIOS (which I've never done before and can't find the papers that came with it).

I have the 868 AMIBIOS (year 1999) chip(?) CB25 8193 on my motherboard.

Have you tried switching to a different IDE cable? First try that before you do any thing to your BIOS.

You can reset the BIOS in two ways, taking out the CMOS battery (itÂ’s a round lithium battery), leaving it out for like 5 or 10 minute (or longer up to 30min) another way is to park your jumper but you will have to refer to your MB manual.

2) CMOS Reset Jumpers

Many motherboards have jumpers on them purposefully for clearing the CMOS. This jumper will need to be activated, the PC turned on. Then the PC must be turned off again and the jumper put back into it's original position so that the CMOS can be edited again. If the jumper is not replaced, then the CMOS will be cleared every time you turn the PC on. But, if you do not have this jumper, dont worry, there are more methods available.

3) The Battery (Safe and Slow)

This CMOS battery is the huge disk shaped object in your motherboard. Power down your PC completely and disconnect it from the wall and remove the ATX Motherboard power connector. Then, just carefully remove the battery and leave it to one side for about 30 minutes. After this time period, replace the battery and plug everything in again. The CMOS would have powered down and all the records would have been lost, meaning that everything is now back to the default settings.

4) The Battery (Unwise but fast)

Following the same procedure as option 3. Remove the battery, but instead of leaving it for 30 minutes, aquire some wire and bridge the two points + and -. This will short the motherboard and remove all power instantly, clearing the CMOS the same way as option 3, but faster. Be aware though, that no electronic components enjoy being shorted out, so shorting your motherboard may cause ill effect to it. So this option is not recommended.

I'll try the IDE cable as soon as I can get one. Hopefully Wal-Mart has one. If not, I'll have to wait until Monday as there aren't any other places close by.

Thanks for your suggestion/advice. I hope it's just the cable. *crosses fingers*

I'm just posting before anyone else takes the time to make a response. It apparently was the IDE cable gone bad.

Thank you heaps, Law. It's much appreciated.

~Kah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom