CD/DVD Drive Refuses To Load CD/DVDs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Down

Solid State Member
Just before, I was trying to install PagePlus X2 when it asked me for the disk. I pressed ok, thinking it was a just a temporary error, but it came up again. There was a second disk with the package, so I put that in, but yet again, to no avail. I then looked at the drive in Explorer and realised that it did not mention that there was a disc in, so I double clicked on the icon, and got this:

47523958dj0.png

So I restart, and the same error comes up. I have now tried with numerous CDs and DVDs, but nope, it recognizes none. And I've manually re-installed the drivers, but again, to no avail. I've even tried in Safe Mode, but not even then does it work.

I've tried troubleshooting, but that didn't work either. The Device Manager lists no problems, says it's fine. So what the heck is the issue?

I'm running XP SP2.

Is this a new drive or has it been used a lot? Maybe some dust on the lens. Try blowing it out with canned air. If that doesn't work, try a different drive. Never touch the lens of the drive.

I've been using it for absolutely ages. and we don't have any canned air, what else could be suggested?

EDIT: I have a lens cleaner, gonna try that now.

Cables and wiring seem fine inside the PC case.

Maybe the drive just died. I bought one of the first dvd burners, and one day it would no longer read dvds, but it still could read cds. It was just used a lot and died. You could test it on another pc, or change ide channels in the case. Obviously it is getting power if the tray is opening up. If it is dead, a new drive isn't too expensive.

It working and then not working, could be a sign of the drive being on its way out. Usualy when hardware is unstable, its on its way to failure. If you can test it in another PC I would suggest you do that, and see if you can barrow a drive from some one, and test it in your PC. If things still dont work, a new drive isnt too expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom