CD Disc Tray? Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

starz

Beta member
I have an HP dc5800 (small form factor) and recently, my cousin (toddler) yanked out our disc tray from the harddrive. Now, everytime I try to put it back in, it goes in a little bit, but then just - stops. Literally, it just get stuck.

Is there any way I could fix this? Will I be able to put the tray back in, or what?

Thanks.

Computer Specs:
Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP: 2
AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3400+
1.79 GHz, 448 MB of RAM

Well for one, he didn't pull anything out of the hard drive ;)

And you should be able to work it back in. It can be tricky, and sometimes impossible. You tray just isn't getting hitched to the tracks like it should. You have to work with it and try and get it to rest on it's tracks so it can be pulled and pushed.

You shouldn't have to push it in, you'll know it's working by setting it in there and using the eject button to pull it in.

Hope that helps.

If it slipped some cogs or something, the drive mechanism could be gone (especially if cogs were stripped, rather than just slipped out of place). You can easily get a new one for about $30 online that'll work, and they're easy enough to put in (takes about 15 minutes, if that).

Yea i'd purchase a new one, and then disect the broken one and see what you can do. I'm always a fan of learning to fix things. Couldn't hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom