The cause of my Graphics Card dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ithanz

Baseband Member
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series.
System: Studio XPS 435
Ram:8 gig
Motherboard: DX58M01

Okay so dell have already replaced the graphics card with a brand new same model so it can't be the graphics card that is at fault.

When I am in 2d mode the graphics card doesn't have a problem. As soon as I play i.e mw3 for about 30 minutes the graphics card instantly goes on 100% and display cuts out and I have to force shutdown.

If I attempt to turn on the computer straight away after it has died, I get 6 short beeps and the graphics card fan is on full bull. Which I have read is a keyboard error??? So for arguements sake I swapped the keyboard to a different USB and the computer turned on again but it may have been time for the graphics card to cool down that actually turned on the computer rather than the change of USB port.

I get both faults on the video card:

D1601 - Over temp protection enabled

D1602 - EXT 12V fault

* There is no event in event viewer, no blue screen (although there was originally a blue screen saying corrupt graphics driver on the old graphics card which led me to uninstall and reinstall/upgrade then finally restore which did jack :( )

I am leaning towards the power supply but nothing turns up on the dell diagnostics when I do a power supply check (nor any other problem for that matter (i.e ram, graphics,bios etc etc). There are no cooked/fried capacitors on the motherboard or graphics card. I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea on how to test the power supply and what I can use to check the voltage coming out of the power supply and how do I find out what is an acceptable voltage? i.e any software (sorry if this is a stupid question). Unfortunately I don't have any other 6pin cables to plug in to test if it is the pins.

Just as a side note incase it helps: I did have 2 RAM fail on me a couple of months back. I reseated them and they have never played up again.

Also, the graphcis card is in a extremely stupid position in my opinion...The graphcis card is about 10cm away from the base of the box with the fan blowing directly onto the base...The hot air really has no where to go. And from what I have seen on other graphics card the fan is pretty small. Although I don't believe this is what is causing it I'm sure its not helping the situation.

Originally when I was having the same problem with the older (but same model) graphics card, I had restored the computer after updating all drivers, bios, graphics card (anything you can think of) and that didn't work. So it is not a software/firmware/drivers problem.

I do apologise if I have left any specifics out. Let me know If I have and I will update.

Well I finished mw3 yesterday .. I have Nvidia 9500 GT card & 4G ram C2D CPU E7500 ..
I do not advice to use ATI Graphics for games ..
Try to use an Nvidia card as a test ..
HOWEVER ..
Also it may be a power fail , but as the computer is running good without 3D so you will need a better power supply to make sure ..

testing the power supply is hard .. I use this lamp to test it :
3167a710.jpg

there are 12v and 5v of this lamps ...
average power supply can handle 3 (12v)s and 3 (5v)s ..
these lamps have a very bright light and heat alot .
:)

Thanks for your reply Alaa. How can I ensure that the right amount of power is going directly to the graphics card though? Are you just putting the lamp on the pins? (sorry probably another stupid question). On a plus side I have found CCC (Catylist Control Centre) will give me a temp reading of the graphics card which is 54 degrees on 2d...which is fine from what I am reading. Will check temp when playing mw3 and post back.

I test the power supply out of the pc
just connect the green wire with any black one and it will turn on .

the lamps .. I did a small circuit board to easily connect them with the power supply .. they really made a lot of powers to overload and turn off .. each lamp needs 1A(1000mA) of current and this picture explain the power supply voltages :
atx-co10.jpg

and as I said the average power can run 3(12v) and 3(5v) lamp at once .. the bad power will not run any .. the super one can handle 20 or more ..

however if your power supply can't handle all your PC you can attach another power supply or more , see here :
Add2PSU Daisy Chain Power Supply Adapter Review - Running Multiple Power Supplies in One PC - Legit Reviews

:)

I downloaded catylist control centre to monitor the heat of the graphics card when playing 3d games. One thing i noticed is that it got to 70 and the fan was still sitting at 0% So I manually adjusted the fan to run at 76% and I played mw3 the longest I have been able to play in a long time without it crashing and then it got back down to low 60's. Since it can't be the graphics card what could be the cause of the fan not kicking in when needed? As said before, I restored the whole computer and started from scratch to work this problem out. So drivers and games etc are the latest.

Are you getting the drivers from Dell's website, or are you getting them from ATI's website? Make sure you're getting the newest ones for your card from ATI's website, because I believe certain older drivers for ATI wouldn't kick in the fan.

Are you getting the drivers from Dell's website, or are you getting them from ATI's website? Make sure you're getting the newest ones for your card from ATI's website, because I believe certain older drivers for ATI wouldn't kick in the fan.

From the ATI website. Dell didn't bring across the latest update for the driver so I thought it may fix the problem. No luck

Can't remember for sure, but is there an option in Catalyst to automatically adjust the fan, or is that what it was set to, and it just wasn't working?

You can always try getting a different application to manage just your fan, as well. Check out EVGA Precision (get from Guru3D). IIRC, it still works with ATI cards.

Can't remember for sure, but is there an option in Catalyst to automatically adjust the fan, or is that what it was set to, and it just wasn't working?

He could try this and see what happens:
MSI Afterburner
Or ATI overdrive suite, haven't used that in 2 years, I think the version I had was a joke back then, but newer ones maybe stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom