Case Powersupply DOA or am i doing something wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcortes

Fully Optimized
hey guys i just got this case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811144026

and i wanted to test out the fancy LED's however I dont want to install my motherboard right now but fore some reason when i hook up all the power for the LED's and plug it in not a single thing happens i flip the switch on the back of the PSU still nothing. is this normal concidering i dont have a motherboard.

Yeah, it wont turn on without the mobo (unless you short 2 specific pins). You are just gonna use the PSU that came with the case?

hmm, doesn't look too bad, but I am not sure about Rosewill. You might want make a seperate PSU post, and/or check the PSU section of this guide.

Greg said:
Yeah, it wont turn on without the mobo (unless you short 2 specific pins). You are just gonna use the PSU that came with the case?

Those two specific pins happen to be a green wire and a black wire. I dont know if any black wire will work, but I know the ones right around in the general vicinity work.

If anyone is curious, all you need is a paper clip. Unfold the clip, stick one end in the green wire hole and there should be a black wire right next to it, stick the other end in there. If it's plugged in and turned on, your PSU should turn on and in this case, the LEDs should light up.

Yep, any black wire (ground) should work. I wouldn't reccomend it though, since running it with little or no load may be bad for the PSU

Greg said:
Yep, any black wire (ground) should work. I wouldn't reccomend it though, since running it with little or no load may be bad for the PSU

How would that possibly be bad for it? Sounds like you're just making stuff up and not stating facts..correct me if I'm wrong though.

One characteristic of all switching-type power supplies is that they do not run without a load. This means that you must have the supply plugged into something drawing power for the supply to work. If you simply have the power supply on a bench with nothing plugged into it, either the supply burns up or its protection circuitry shuts it down. Most power supplies are protected from no-load operation and shut down automatically. Some of the cheap clone supplies, however, lack the protection circuit and relay. They are destroyed after a few seconds of no-load operation. A few power supplies have their own built-in load resistors, so they can run even though no normal load is plugged in.

And based upon that quote, we can conclude what they just said confirms that any currently produced PSU that doesnt suck balls has it's own built-in load resistor, effectively making it safe to test the PSU by shorting the wires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom